Trail Talk
August 17, 2017, 05:34:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thru-hikers  (Read 14827 times)
Buckeye
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 01:58:18 PM »

Oh, right, like the BTA can afford that setup!  Kinda fancy!   Grin
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »

True, but it's fun to think about having 120 of these - spaced every 12 miles along the trail.
~
Hmmm, .. on the other hand .. locals would soon be using them for parties which would just make more work for the trail maintainers .. much like the AT shelters that are located close to roads.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Buckeye
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 03:55:12 PM »

Heck, if we had 120 of these, I would not need a home, I could just roam from shelter to shelter each night...they got sliding glass windows!   Grin

120 shelters...that's a number to shoot for.  I guess we really do not need that many as there are campgrounds along the way in some areas, but 120 shelters would be an undertaking.  How many do we have now?  I know of one.   Grin

Buckeye
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »

There is supposedly some list that the BT keeps that lists trail angels, folks that will help with shuttles, laundry, or a place to stay.  Might behoove someone planning a thru-hike or a long hike at least to ask for that info.  Not certain what sort of response you'll receive though.

The English chap who thru-hiked the BT back in 2001 stayed at a lot of motels and campgrounds.  It was rare that he dropped down in a forest, state or national, which surprises me.

The BTA (my opinion here) needs to get backpackers on the BT, that will be the true measure of a successful trail.  Long section hikes with established camp sites, as well as a long term goal of getting more shelters along the BT will go far in getting long distance hikers to Ohio.  Start with one 100 mile section, set up camp sites and shelters, and advertise that section as suitable to backpackers.  That would be a good start (in my not-so-humble opinion).

Poppie, when you do your circuit hikes, where are you staying most nights?

Buckeye

WE have stayed at park campgrounds, motels, state park cabins, Ben's Horse Ranch, usually moving camp with the hike.  But lately it seems easier to set up base camp.  I am planning to through hike Pemberville, Norwalk, and possibly Medina starting April 18ish.  I have not looked at lodging yet.  One option will be to bike hike it.  I will park my bike drive 15 miles and hike back to the bicycle.  I hope to drive up in a couple weeks and check it out.  I have also heard from a couple BTA folks up there that are willing to shuttle.

Poppie

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »

It is certainly better than the "quonset hut style shelter" that the LBTL folks promised.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/59094065@N05/5472183282/

The Laurel highlands have 5 of these shelters at each camp site.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/59094065@N05/5472183384/  I usually had the place to myself each night. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:27:24 PM by Pioneer Spirit » Logged

Circuit Hike Completed.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 05:18:37 PM »

I'm sure that "Quonset Hut Style shelter" is a lot closer to my price range.

BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »

I do know a stated goal supported by the BTA Board is to create a corridor in the southeast-south that would allow at least one week of backpacking with shelters and campsites well spaced.  This was one of the reasons for the Pretty Run land purchase last year.  The BTA Executive Director, along with the GPS guru and others have mapped out plans for such a corridor.  I have seen the maps!! Smiley

It isn't 120 shelters around the state, but it is a start in a scenic area.  Still - it takes volunteers and money and local land owner cooperation.  A slow process, especially when carried out by volunteers.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »

".. allow at least one week of backpacking.." - Any rough mileage estimate?
A "week" can vary from 35 miles to 140+ miles depending on who is doing the backpacking.
In any case it sounds great!

BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 07:51:15 PM »

This is off the top of my head, but I would say the ultimate (well, initial) goal is 100 miles.  I think the desire is to tie Old Man's Cave, Tar Hollow, Scioto Trail and Pike State Parks/Forests together.  Of course, getting the property or permission for moving off the current road sections between the parks is the toughest task.  The first steps are to try to secure properties at "a day's walk" that can be used for camping, filling in after that.   It's an ambitious goal but I think it is doable with sufficient support.
ToddSmith
Day Hiker

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 11:32:36 PM »

I thru-hiked the AT in 05,
If I were you I would go thru the AT then come back and thru the BT,  you will be in such good shape that you could thru the BT in 6-8 weeks. 
just my two cents.

MacCherokee
Day Hiker

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »

Yes,i think the BT should start a fund just like the barn fund or general fund that people can donate money into for new backpacking shelters.Their are some beautiful ones pre made for sale at www.thruthewoods.com or google the adirondack lean-to company.

Not a bad idea!  Hopefully some of the board folks are reading this and can act on your idea.  I would give to that fund.

Buckeye

+1

I hate driving 3+ hours to go packpacking
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: