Trail Talk
December 17, 2017, 05:25:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thru-hikers  (Read 16707 times)
Fenris
Day Hiker

« on: February 09, 2011, 07:52:02 PM »

Are there any through hikers out there? I'm curious. I was thinking about doing the AT, but I would love to hike my own state. I'm planning on sectioning this trail, but I it would be cool if I could do one big trip.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »

A few have done it all at once in the 10 week range I believe.  There was a couple of links up to trail journals but I do not have a link.  Look up Nimblewill Nomad for his NCT hike through Ohio on about 800 miles of the trail.  A couple from Dayton hiked the trail a few years ago.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:08:44 PM »

Skeemer did 1270+ miles in 2007 .. all around the loop but perhaps not past every single blue blaze.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5746

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »

The BT does not lend itself well (at this time at least) to a true thru hike.  Too many places with no approved camping.  I believe one of the long term goals is to create more shelters for backpackers, but without trail angels (like the couple in '03 had) it is hard to do, without camping in places without permission.  Hence you see a lot of section hikes and hikers.

It would be great to thru hike the BT!

Buckeye
atwalker
Overnighter

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »

Fenris,

I too would love to thru-hike the BT and actually bought all the maps back in 03 and started planning it.  However, with so much road walking and lack of campsites I gave up the idea and instead do a few weeks each summer or fall on the AT.   I am still thinking about doing the BT and I may do it one of these days.  However, as Buckeye said "it does not lend itself well to a true thru-hike". 

I have thought about maybe doing a week or so at a time and see how it goes. 

Anyway, you are not alone in the desire to do a thru hike on the BT and it is my hope that someday it would be possible but I doubt it will ever happen in my lifetime.  That does not seem to be the goal or mission of the organization or at least not near the top of the list. 

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end. -- Ursula K. LeGuin
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:00:46 PM »

I am considering doing a chunk of the BT this spring. I hope to start late next month. This is not a thru hike attempt though. After reading various journals and blogs about how unmaintained the BT is I get the impression a thru hike is a journey of frustration.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:40:53 PM by Captain Blue » Logged

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »

It's true that some places are not maintained as well as we would all like but a through hike would probably be easier then you would expect.  I simply did some steath camping when I did a few multi-day hikes.  I walked a few mile sout of my way from Yellow Springs to John Bryan state park on memorial day.  I was #101 at a place that only had 100 campsites.  I just found a place behind a vacant group camp in the brush and set up for the night.

I think you can simply ask a farmer or landowner along the way to set up.  Many folks are amazed that people actually walk farther than from the front door to the car and so will let you stay in the yard.  The hardest part would be doing the two loops and the two branches at Lake Erie and Milford.

Join us for some of the circuit hikes this year.  Our goal is to complete the trail this year.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 05:49:21 PM »

There is supposedly some list that the BT keeps that lists trail angels, folks that will help with shuttles, laundry, or a place to stay.  Might behoove someone planning a thru-hike or a long hike at least to ask for that info.  Not certain what sort of response you'll receive though.

The English chap who thru-hiked the BT back in 2001 stayed at a lot of motels and campgrounds.  It was rare that he dropped down in a forest, state or national, which surprises me.

The BTA (my opinion here) needs to get backpackers on the BT, that will be the true measure of a successful trail.  Long section hikes with established camp sites, as well as a long term goal of getting more shelters along the BT will go far in getting long distance hikers to Ohio.  Start with one 100 mile section, set up camp sites and shelters, and advertise that section as suitable to backpackers.  That would be a good start (in my not-so-humble opinion).

Poppie, when you do your circuit hikes, where are you staying most nights?

Buckeye
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »

When the Anslingers did their thru-hike in 2003, I think they mostly camped, along with staying with some friends and family along the way.  Where there were not 'legal' campsites, they generally asked permission to camp on private property.  If I recall, they were seldom refused.

During their hike, they sent regular updates that were posted on the BT website.  The pages are gone from the server, but I may have them on one of my backups.  If so, I will restore them and post the address for those that are interested.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »

Found the files of the Anslinger's hike.  Go to http://www.buckeyetrail.org/discoverhike-journals.html if you want to read their experiences.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 06:52:26 PM »

For me missing, incorrect, infrequent or obscure blue blazes would be the most frustrating part of a long hike. The lack of campsites and the amount of road walking can be dealt with. However, getting lost, backtracking and not having blazes at junctions can very detrimental to the morale of a long distance hiker. I would rather be on a trail with blowdowns and overgrown weeds with ample blazes then on a smooth sailing footpath with no blazes. This is just me. If anybody has the list of trail angels please let me know.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Buckeye
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 08:09:42 PM »

When the Anslingers did their thru-hike in 2003, I think they mostly camped, along with staying with some friends and family along the way.  Where there were not 'legal' campsites, they generally asked permission to camp on private property.  If I recall, they were seldom refused.

During their hike, they sent regular updates that were posted on the BT website.  The pages are gone from the server, but I may have them on one of my backups.  If so, I will restore them and post the address for those that are interested.

Glad you found these.  I had the page bookmarked until several months ago, when it went *poof*.  Is this now linked back to the BTA main page?  It should be, we need every resource available to the hiking public about the BT.

I wish these two would write a book on their thru-hike, might give the rest of us some insight as to where they stayed on a nightly basis.

Buckeye
melloman
Day Hiker

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 12:33:03 PM »

Yes,i think the BT should start a fund just like the barn fund or general fund that people can donate money into for new backpacking shelters.Their are some beautiful ones pre made for sale at www.thruthewoods.com or google the adirondack lean-to company.
Buckeye
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 12:43:11 PM »

Yes,i think the BT should start a fund just like the barn fund or general fund that people can donate money into for new backpacking shelters.Their are some beautiful ones pre made for sale at www.thruthewoods.com or google the adirondack lean-to company.

Not a bad idea!  Hopefully some of the board folks are reading this and can act on your idea.  I would give to that fund.

Buckeye
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »

It appears the Adirondack Lean-to company wasn't paying their web hosting bill as http://www.thruthewoods.com/ is suspended.
Their adirondack cabin would look nice in my woods.  Grin

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: