Trail Talk
May 26, 2017, 01:23:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheeling, WV  (Read 4016 times)
wvgrinder
Day Hiker

Hiker Trash

« on: February 06, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »

Hey y'all.  I just joined the forum.  I plan on doing a few shakedown hikes on the BT to prepare for my upcoming AT SOBO trip.   Grin

Don
WV
Buckeye
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:27:29 AM »

Welcome, Don!  Let us know where you plan on doing some of your BT shakedown hikes and keep us posted on your AT SOBO!

Buckeye
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »

Take a look at Shawnee State Forest in the Shawnee Section.  Probably some of the toughest (that being a relative term) ups and downs on the BT.  It won't fully prepare you for the White Mountains, but will be closer to the AT than other areas of the BT.
Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »

Yes, I made Shawnee my first backpacking destination.  I had an idea of how tough it would be having completed the day hike loop a few times.  It did not disappoint.  Tough hills of 200-400 feet, no switchbacks, stupid steep in some spots.  It just doesn't last terribly long (thank God).  After Shawnee doing 29 miles in two days/one night at Big South Fork just didn't compare (but the scenery at BSF is stellar).

Buckeye
wvgrinder
Day Hiker

Hiker Trash

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »

Thanks for the Shawnee recommendations.  While hiking through Tar Hollow last Easter, a few folks recommended it also.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: