Trail Talk
August 17, 2017, 05:35:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipes?  (Read 14357 times)
PilotBMP
Day Hiker

« on: February 05, 2011, 10:40:23 AM »

I know there are plenty of other forums that have recipes in them but I was hoping to start one on here.  Anyone have any good weekend recipes?  I know since I'm only going for 3 days I can pack a little more on the "gourmet" side.  Anyone have any good recipes?
Ben
Buckeye
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:52:18 PM »

Ben,

I have to admit, I am a big fan of the Enertia Trail Foods line.  It is (I still believe) an Ohio-based company, and their meals are easy to make and quite tasty (and the ingredients are on the higher end of the scale).

Check them out:

http://trailfoods.com/

Buckeye
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »

I'm not a cooker on trails.  I tend to rely on Mountain House or brands of instant pototoes that only rely on 2 cups of hot water.  Packets of Salmon or tuna can be added to Ramen noodles.  Ramen noodles can be hydrated without boiling, just add water to a ziplock bag and let them soak while you walk an hour or two.  It's my choice for cooking because I tend to walk up to 25 mile days and don't feel like scrubbing pots and all that goes with cooking.  You can also use a simple beer can pot to boil water.

Check out Freezerbag cooking:  http://www.trailcooking.com/

Circuit Hike Completed.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:24:41 PM »

Afraid I can't help either as I just boil water - eat and relax while others are still preparing their meal. I usually eat the same stuff on the trail and off so when I get home from work I often power up the Keurig coffee machine, put some couscous in a bowl, hit the 5oz button twice for 1-1/4 cups of hot water or the 7oz and 5oz button for 1-1/2 cups of water .. let it sit for 6 minutes and eat a hot meal. The Keurig is designed for expensive coffee pods, but I use it primarily as a hot water dispenser for cooking, tea, etc.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
shigadeyo
Day Hiker

I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:39:33 PM »

I know there are plenty of other forums that have recipes in them but I was hoping to start one on here.  Anyone have any good weekend recipes?  I know since I'm only going for 3 days I can pack a little more on the "gourmet" side.  Anyone have any good recipes?
Ben

I like to eat well on the trail as well.  When going light, I mostly do freezer bag cooking (FBC).  Basically boil water and add to dehydrated/freeze-dried food in a freezer bag and let it sit to hydrate.  This is very similar to the Enertia meals, but the difference is that I put together all of my own meals.  There are many books and web sites out there that cover FBC, but I recommend checking out TrailCooking.com first.  It covers the basics and gives plenty of recipes.  Some of my favorites (with a couple personal twists, of course) include the following:

I am also working on perfecting some of my own original FBC recipes:
  • Hungarian Lentil Soup
  • Spicy West African Stew

When going heavier, I have been known to do some very gourmet cooking on the trail.  This includes everything from one-pot meals to pan biscuits and pizza to steam baking to full-blown, mutli-pan, multi-course meals.  There are lots of good resources that cover techniques and recipes, but below are some of my favorite references:
_____
STORE LINKS:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:18:16 PM by shigadeyo » Logged

"If one did not have a map, one would get lost, which defeats the purpose of blazing.  A hiker should be able to follow the BT without a map." - Buckeye
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:19:57 AM »

"I have several great ethnic recipes found on the Internet from "Prosecutor's Cookbook", but I have yet to find a copy of the actual book..." - What are some of the recipes? Prosecutorís Pancakes, Felony Fruit Salad, 9th Circuit Salisbury Steak, Premeditated Mashed Potatoes, Misdemeanor Margarita - If those sound familiar it's Aaron Colin's Criminal Law Cookbook - Amazon has (2) - ISBN 0-7414-5239-1

shigadeyo
Day Hiker

I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »

After I made my previous post, I did some searching on the Internet and reached out to a guy who had posted about
"Prosecutor's Cookbook" on another forum.  He sent me a copy with some additions that he made.  The link to the cookbook is below.  Also, here is a link to his blog - Backpacking Technology

Prosecutor's Cookbook

"If one did not have a map, one would get lost, which defeats the purpose of blazing.  A hiker should be able to follow the BT without a map." - Buckeye
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »

My Chili went over well at the "barn" during the MAC hike.  When I make Chili I throw everything in the refrig into it.  Therefore, it would be like a hobo stew.  On a campout with the scouts, each scout brings a can of food from home.  We throw all cans into a pot and make soup.  I have never had a soup that was not perfect.

Then again the scouts like black and scrambled pancakes:  They forget the oil and cook the pancake on the grill without.  When it begins to burn they attempt to turn it but end up scrambling it.  Since the first half burned they do not leave the second side on the burner.  The pancake is removed with a black crust over "creamy" center.  The scout when questioned, responds that this is the way Mom makes it and they love it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 05:03:04 PM by Poppie » Logged

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:15:19 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy That post brings back many memories of scouts who were never allowed to cook anything at home.
They either requested advice from experienced scouts, or their whole patrol would eat burned pancakes, liquid eggs, grease soaked donuts, undercooked rice jambalaya, etc. etc. Two of the key goals of scouting are to develop leadership and outdoor skills, but getting experience with planning meals - purchasing the items - and preparing meals is probably one of the most useful things that occurs.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: