Trail Talk
February 25, 2018, 11:39:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historic Places along the BT  (Read 8098 times)
FTBB
Day Hiker

« on: February 03, 2011, 04:22:46 PM »

All of us as hikers of the BT need to be aware that historic sites are found along the trail.  I wish to describe one such site and, hopefully, others will post descriptions of their favorite sites.
Hikers visiting the Defiance area and hiking through Pontiac Park will enjoy a great view of the Maumee River.  You can stand at the Apple Tree Monument and view the site of the former Fort Defiance across the river.   In the late 1700’s you would have watched the fort being constructed and also viewed the farms of Native Americans, not unlike the farms of the European settlers.  “Follow the Blue Blazes” offers more of a description of these historic farms on page 144.
“Mad Anthony” Wayne ordered the building of the fort to allow troops to maneuver against the so-called savages that actually were trying to live much as the “white man.”  The poignant quote found on page 44 shows that the Native Americans there were Shawnee, Miami, and Delaware.  These tribes had formed a confederacy to say that they had no recourse but to “leave their bones in this small space, to which we are now confined.”
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:24:33 PM by Buckeye » Logged
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:01:42 AM »

Here is a link to a great web site describing the Miami-Erie canal route from Lake Loramie to Delphos. The Buckeye Trail and North Country Trail follow the canal in this section.

http://www.hiking.ohiotrail.com/

This web site describes the canal features along the route. I highly recommend this section. I hiked it a few years ago and was in amazed at the canal features (locks, aqueducts, feeder canals) along the way. Of course the terrain is very flat!

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Buckeye
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »

Excellent link, Cap'n!

Buckeye
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 06:14:07 PM »

I uploaded a few of the photos taken last spring when I hike for 3 days from Mary Jane Thurston to Ottoville.  You can find them on my Flickr account:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/59094065@N05/sets/72157625944587747/

I encluded the apple tree monument and the fort site at the river confluence.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:05:11 AM »

I am compiling a list of historical sites on the Buckeye Trail for a Boy Scouts presentation.  What section have you hiked when you stopped and told yourself; "Wow, I didn't know that happened"!  I must have one site per section. 

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »

Research the story of "Bloody Bridge" on the Miami-Erie canal near Spencerville. It is not important historically but it is a short ghost story which scouts are bound to enjoy. Some people still see her face in the water at night.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Buckeye
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »

Along the Loveland Section - There is the story of Morgan's Raid in 1863 at the height of the Civil War.  His Confederate troops were moving to take Camp Dennison near Cincinnati, but the camp was too heavily defended.  Instead, Morgan's men derailed a train a few miles north of Camp Dennison, which is not the Little Miami State Scenic and Buckeye Trails.  There is an Ohio Historical Marker close to the scene.

Buckeye
FTBB
Day Hiker

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »

Great photos Pioneer Spirit.  I believe the view from Pontiac Park is one of the most impressive along the BT.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »

I've taken over 1000 images so far.  Flikr only allows 300mb per month so I've been adding only a few so far.  I'm trying to get a sample from each section uploaded.

Circuit Hike Completed.
rocket
Day Hiker

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »

Great photos Pioneer Spirit. Thanks for sharing.

Sections Completed:St. Mary's,Troy,Caesar Creek,Loveland,Delphos,Road Fork,Defiance,
Burton,Pemberville,Belle Valley
Ray
Day Hiker

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:33:50 AM »

Poppie, When you come to hike the Bowerston Section in May, I can show you 3 nice historic sites in a 5 mile stretch at Piedmont Lake. The BT passes within 100' of the site of the S.S.S. Hanna a beautiful ship that was once a Sea Scout camp from 1946 - 1960.I camped there as a Boy Scout in 1958 and all that is left is the metal mooring pin.I have photos of the ship.Just past this location about 1/2 mile you will actually walk over the road that General John Hunt Morgan and his Confederate Raiders road over on July 24,1863.You go another 31/2 miles and exit the off-road section at Thin Lane, onto Marina Road which actually passes right through the old Tri-County Fairgrounds, the large floral hall still stands.This is a great hike and I'm looking forward to sharing it with you and others in May.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: