Trail Talk
October 17, 2017, 06:14:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much of the trail is road walks?  (Read 18036 times)
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »

my question is: would you consider walking on a bike path as roadwalking? I mean thy are paved, can have heavy traffic at times  and they even have stop signs.  Huh
Buckeye
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »

my question is: would you consider walking on a bike path as roadwalking? I mean thy are paved, can have heavy traffic at times  and they even have stop signs.  Huh

In my feeble mind, Pavel, the answer is yes, they are road walks, but they are safer than actually walking along a state highway, so I would much rather hike on a bike path than on the berm of a road!

Buckeye
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 10:10:04 PM »

Some of the roads I am walking now are far less busy than a bike path. I would rather be on these roads than a busy bike path with bikes whizzing by me. Walking on state routes is not fun though.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »

I hate hiking on roads, i am always paranoid of some drunk running me over or throwing something at me. As for the bike path...I love to hike on it!! It's flat and paved and has beautiful scenery...I agree about the bikes whizzing by though, but then again...I am sure they hate to yield to hikers on the bike path as much as I hate yielding to them on the road when I am driving! Cool
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »

bta geek,

Thanks for getting a copy of the list, if is not too much trouble I would love to have a copy of it, since it has been my desire to hike the entire Buckeye Trail for many years.   It just seems to me that the organization is not very interested in us that would like to hike it all while backpacking.  Over 20 years now, I have been watching and waiting for something along those lines and it has no seemed to advance at all. 

I have thru-hiked the AT and done most of the southern half 5 or 6 times, while I am still waiting for someway to hike the BT.   

I would like to know what is the mission statement for the BT org.  I feel much the same way I suspect Buckeye feels from what I have read, it is frustrating not being able to backpack.

If you can send me a copy of the list of places to camp I would sincerely appreciate it.  Thank you much.  Sincerely, Ed

I agree whole heartedly.  There is a lack of cooperation from certain Metroparks as well.  They have limited shelter areas and furthermore keep those reserves for boyscouts, or take exception to special groups.  The sentiment in NE Ohio is that the individual can't legally reserve a shelter, only groups.  It is an urban response based on past practice of not permittting individuals. 
Fellow hikers, this is sad.  Think about this.  No accomadations for the solo explorer who has the wanderlust and insatiable adventure,perhaps more so than others are willing, and goes it alone.  So they set off and go trekking and meet trail angels, and great people in the communities and towns along the way, and are no longer alone. 
Where would we be if someone had told John Muir, Peter Jenkins, and Chris Mccandless NO? Told them that backpacking, freaky people need not apply?
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »

I've hiked a fair share of the BT and I've only seen 1 shelter house in the Mogadore section.  What gives???  For those of you that have more trail time than me, is there a general prevalent lack of shelters along the BT? 
If so, there would only need to be 72 shelters (every 20 miles) to ensure adequate camping security for the entire 1444 miles of trail.  Perhaps then, thru hiker numbers would increase and revenue for those BT towns along the way. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:58:38 PM by Charlie Redwood » Logged
Buckeye
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »

I've hiked a fair share of the BT and I've only seen 1 shelter house in the Mogadore section.  What gives???  For those of you that have more trail time than me, is there a general prevalent lack of shelters along the BT? 
If so, there would only need to be 72 shelters (every 20 miles) to ensure adequate camping security for the entire 1444 miles of trail.  Perhaps then, thru hiker numbers would increase and revenue for those BT towns along the way. 

There is another thread about shelters.  There are only a handful thus far, none built by the BTA.  You should write a letter into The Trailblazer about it.  We have far too many board members and old school folks who are seemingly disconnected as to what most folks consider a long distance trail!

As for distance, even the T is every 10-12 miles, which is what we should shoot for (maybe 15).
Big Blue
Day Hiker

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »

You go "Caption" Blue
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: