Trail Talk
December 17, 2017, 11:19:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much of the trail is road walks?  (Read 19204 times)
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »

I've send a request to the last known holder of the list.  He is happily retired now so I'm not sure how often he checks his mail.  I will post when I hear something.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 10:25:50 PM »

....And I have heard back already.

The list is in transition to a new volunteer to manage.  With the prior holder retiring from active BTA service and moving form his house, that transition got a bit delayed.

The bad news - the list is a printed on paper list that was simply copied.  I know - so 1980s!!  Once it is in the hands of the new masters, I will get a copy and digitize it for easier distribution.

Stay tuned.
Rkierner
Day Hiker

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »

I'd like that list too. 
Buckeye
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »

Keep us posted!  There are folks on this forum who want to do some backpacking on the AT, and we will need some support to get some areas completed.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 03:15:35 PM »

It must be thew copy I was sent.  Some names were crossed out and I never used any of few names on the list.  The trail now bypasses one family in Richmondale.  I had a group of friends in the Letterboxing community that helped or offered to help me along.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:33:08 PM by Pioneer Spirit » Logged

Circuit Hike Completed.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 11:14:32 AM »

There is such a list!  The previous volunteer that answered the 'info' e-mails kept it.  I will contact him directly and see if we can get a copy to the current volunteer - and perhaps to a few others so it does not 'get lost'.

BTA Geek - any update on getting the "list" out?

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »

A paper copy is supposedly 'in the mail' to me right now.  Copies have also been sent to the info@buckeyetrail.org mailbox recipient and Herb & Susie, who will maintain and hopefully expand the list.  I intend to 'digitize' it (i.e. make it either a Word or Excel doc) for ease of management.

That may be delayed a little. "Playing around" on my PC last night - a dangerous thing for any geek to do - and corrupted the registry beyond all hope of repair. Reinstalling today.  At least I have all data backed up!
shigadeyo
Day Hiker

I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »

I intend to 'digitize' it (i.e. make it either a Word or Excel doc) for ease of management.

If the list is still readable after having been photocopied so many times and you have a scanner, then it should be quite easy to scan and use OCR to get it into a format that can be edited. Let me know if you need any help with it.

"If one did not have a map, one would get lost, which defeats the purpose of blazing.  A hiker should be able to follow the BT without a map." - Buckeye
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 11:49:42 PM »

For starters could you scan the paper copy to PDF and email it to those who want it? Then once you get it OCR'd you could distribute it in a more organized format.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 07:58:19 AM »

The Camping List arrived in my mailbox yesterday.  It is a bit underwhelming, but hopefully it can be built up some in the coming months.  I will try to scan it today and send it to those that have requested it.  Because of the promise made to people who agreed to be on the list, I will not post it openly here or on the BTA website.
Buckeye
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 08:10:42 AM »

Looking forward to seeing it.  Would be a good project for one of the committees to take on...wait, I am on a committee!   Grin

Send it to me, and I will start reaching out to those on the list to see if they are still interested in assisting.
atwalker
Overnighter

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »

bta geek,

Thanks for getting a copy of the list, if is not too much trouble I would love to have a copy of it, since it has been my desire to hike the entire Buckeye Trail for many years.   It just seems to me that the organization is not very interested in us that would like to hike it all while backpacking.  Over 20 years now, I have been watching and waiting for something along those lines and it has no seemed to advance at all. 

I have thru-hiked the AT and done most of the southern half 5 or 6 times, while I am still waiting for someway to hike the BT.   

I would like to know what is the mission statement for the BT org.  I feel much the same way I suspect Buckeye feels from what I have read, it is frustrating not being able to backpack.

If you can send me a copy of the list of places to camp I would sincerely appreciate it.  Thank you much.  Sincerely, Ed

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end. -- Ursula K. LeGuin
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 11:13:44 AM »

BTA Geek - Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing the list.

I spoke to a 2003 BT thru hiker last night and he said the list was quite short. Because of this their days usually ended far from where someone on the list was. It wasn't much help to them.

AT Walker - I echo your sentiments.

Ohio is loaded with long distance backpackers. When I hike on the AT I always hear from other hikers that lots of people from Ohio are on the trail. It is a shame that Ohio has a long distance trail and loads of long distance hikers but the BT and BTA are not well suited for long distance hiking.

Thru hiking brings publicity. Publicity brings awareness. Awareness brings volunteers and money.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:49:19 AM by Captain Blue » Logged

BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »

I have just e-mailed a PDF copy of the list to everyone who had requested a copy.  Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Reminder - the people on the list were told it would not be posted publicly but only provided to individuals upon request.  Please honor that promise and do not post this on other forums or sites.  It isn't much right now, but violating our promise won't help it grow in the future.  Thanks!
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 12:06:09 PM »

atwalker: Since you asked, here it is:

Mission Statement of Buckeye Trail Association
“The Buckeye Trail Association is the leader in building, maintaining and promoting use of Ohio’s longest scenic hiking trail for our citizens, communities and partners.  We provide outdoor recreation, opportunities to volunteer, education, access to the varied resources of Ohio and local economic benefits.”

The Mission Statement was developed this past summer at a Strategic Planning Meeting - the first such meeting that I am aware of ever held by the BTA and facilitated by a professional from NPS.  I found it one of the best and most productive weekends I have spent with the BTA.

Though I won't dispute your perception of the BTA in regards to long distance hikers, I can tell you the reality is they do care.  I think the biggest problems the BTA faces is numbers.  First, everyone except Andrew is a volunteer.  Second, the 'hard-core' volunteers are in some cases trying to cover too many jobs (due to lack of other volunteers) with the expected result that some don't get done as well or at all.  Not from lack of caring, but simply from time.  I'm guilty too.  Working full time, raising a family, other demands, blah blah blah.  I'm sure you know what I mean.  That is why some of the more active volunteers are retired.

Creating a 1400 mile trail for thru hiking in Ohio is far far more difficult than creating a 2100 miles trail across the ridges of the Appalachians.  The current approach is to create pockets of long-distance hikeable trail, where one could hike for maybe a week and find camping areas.  But the vast State and National Forests that the AT crosses, where dispersed camping anywhere is generally permitted simply will never exist in Ohio.

Hopefully, some in this forum will look at where they may help the organization - from trail maintenance to leading hikes to simply logging and reporting what they find along the trail.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: