Trail Talk
December 16, 2017, 07:14:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much of the trail is road walks?  (Read 19187 times)
4eyedbuzzard
Day Hiker

« on: January 25, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »

Hi,
I'm a new member.  I grew up in the Kettering area, now live in New Hampshire, but still try to keep up with happenings in Ohio.  I am just wondering, how much of the Buckeye Trail that serves as part of the North Country Trail is currently road walks or proposed trail but not yet completed trail?  I read somewhere that there are some sections that are routed on busy roads and it is suggested to use a local road map to try to walk on local roads with less traffic.  Just trying to get some info to keep up to date.  Thanks.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:26:53 PM »

I've heard various percentages mentioned over the years, but I think it is safe to say that over 60% of the Buckeye Trail is on some type of road.  I don't know what the breakdown is on the sections carrying the NCT, though it may be a bit lower.

While there are a few busy roads, I have found that the overwhelming majority of road walks are on little used back-country roads.  I have sometimes gone for an hour or more and only had one or two cars pass me.

Currently there is a multi-year effort in NW Ohio to take the trail off of a busy road and relocate it onto rejuvenated canal towpath.  I think it will eventually total over 50 miles that will be moved, but don't quote me on that number.
4eyedbuzzard
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:33:33 PM »

Thanks.  I've read through some of the section descriptions at the Buckeye Trail website but it's hard to get an overall idea as to what to expect.  I'm also wondering the camping situation is like along the farm roads and such due to what seems like a probable lack of designated camping areas / public land along some of the sections, and the amount of private property that may come into play.
Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:48:44 AM »

The last number I received from the BTA director was that 55% of the entire BT was on road, 45% was not.  As Geek mentions, the portions that are shared with the NCT might be different, but those numbers are probably fairly close.

As for camping, that it the BT's bane as far as I am concerned.  While the long term vision is to make the entire BT more backpacker friendly, there are places where campsites are hard to find.  However, if you email info@buckeyetrail.org and ask for a list of their folks who are willing to act as trail angels, you should be able to find locals to assist.

Darryl
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »

The recent movements of more trail onto bike paths and private lad has reduced the roadwalking quite a bit.  A 10.5 mile section between Fremont to Elmore is on a new bike trail.  The map I used in the fall of 09 still showed the trail on a zig-zag course on roadways.

I walked a considerable amount of miles across the north with most of it being on back roads.  I think the area between Findley SP to Wolf creek SP below Fremont was 100% roadwalk.

Bike paths and canal paths are usually a pleasant walk.  I really don't mind roadwalks that much, thre were only a couple of places that were difficult due to high volume traffic.  <1 mile section along route 250/13 comes to mind.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:07:08 PM »

There is a short section of the BT in Eastwood Metropark in Dayton that is being moved off a trail in the woods and onto a paved bike path.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »

I know the trail follows the edge of the river very closely until you reach pass under the bridge.  They had just trimmed down the brush probably in the fall of '09.  I know the edge of the trail was about a foot from the river at one place.[/img]

Circuit Hike Completed.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 07:22:07 PM »

As for camping, that it the BT's bane as far as I am concerned.  While the long term vision is to make the entire BT more backpacker friendly, there are places where campsites are hard to find.  However, if you email info@buckeyetrail.org and ask for a list of their folks who are willing to act as trail angels, you should be able to find locals to assist.

Has someone already compiled a list of the sections where camping is allowed along the trail? I know there are primitive sites at Wolf Run S.P. (NW corner) along the trail, but I don't recall if these are free. Cuyahoga Valley National Park is slowly allowing some overnight camping. Another resource would be compiling a list of hotels within easy walking distance from the trail. I'm curious what Samuel Gardner plans to do when he comes through Ohio.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Rkierner
Day Hiker

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »

I'm planning a full BT hike during weekends over the next several years.  My plan is to figure my estimated mileage for a day, then find a plot of land via that county's auditor's web site and attempt to contact the land owner for permission to set up a tent at the edge of a field.  I realize this is a little laborious but it's the best idea I could think of. 
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »

A good deal of roadwalking in the Troy section will be eliminated once the construction of bike trails is complete sometime this year.   They were doing some work on Friday at a section of the trail as we walked by.  I think the trail will be moved to the bike path from the big hill at the Wright memorial too, the only downside is a few places that are too near the flood stage.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 11:30:54 AM »

However, if you email info@buckeyetrail.org and ask for a list of their folks who are willing to act as trail angels, you should be able to find locals to assist.

I sent an email to info@buckeyetrail.org asking for the list and got this reply ..... Sorry , I have no knowledge of such a list. <name> BTA Volunteer

If anyone has knowledge of such a list please let me know.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Buckeye
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »

Reply back and ask them why that info is mentioned on the BT maps then?

Buckeye
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »

There is such a list!  The previous volunteer that answered the 'info' e-mails kept it.  I will contact him directly and see if we can get a copy to the current volunteer - and perhaps to a few others so it does not 'get lost'.

The list is not made public only because many of those private people on the list were told it would not be when they agreed to be included.  It may be a worthwhile endeavor for the board to appoint someone to follow up and maintain this list.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »

There is such a list!

When you get the list please send me a private message. I will send you my email address. Thank you!

Buckeye
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 06:06:35 PM »

Same here, I would like to see that list.  I want to do some longer backpacking trips and where better than in my own state?

Buckeye
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: