Trail Talk
December 18, 2017, 04:27:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TRAIL TALK, the Buckeye Trail Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loyalsock Trail  (Read 5905 times)
matthewbird76
Day Hiker

« on: January 24, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »

Anyone ever doen this in PA? 60 miles north of Williamsport.

I'm thinking of doing it with my mutt in early april.

anyone wanna come too?

Matt.
Buckeye
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:59:40 PM »

Would love to, but my backpacking trips have pretty much been planned for 2011 already (Big South Fork, AT-Davenport to Hot Springs, Smokys, and perhaps two to three others). 

I am sure you are aware of these sites already:

http://www.kta-hike.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~ammisov/loyals00.htm

Darryl
matthewbird76
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:49:03 PM »

Darryl, cheers for the links.

I bought the trail guide and maps, but the travelogue was a good read.

Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »

I would reccoment the Laurel Highlands hiking trail unless you have done that one already.  It runs 70 miles from Ohiopyle to Johnstown.  It's 6 miles to the first shelter followed by a 1 1/2 steep climb to the ridge top, each mile is marked with a concrete mile marker obilisk.

Head on over to the Johnstown museums when finished or take the incline railway up to a lunch spot.

Circuit Hike Completed.
matthewbird76
Day Hiker

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »

I looked at that, the bridge over the turnpike is out right now, plus I only have 5 days.

how long did it take you? and what were the shelters like condition wise?
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 08:03:42 PM »

They took down the turnpike bridge after I completed the trail in June 2009.  You can simply go downhill on one side and cross under through the culvert.

I completed the 70 miles in 5 days of hiking but wasted several more miles trying to get to a pizza parlor in the ski resort (Closed weekdays) advertized in backpacker magazine.  They were still doing a lot of construction on the mountain top villiage around the ski pond.

The shelters were nice although a little too far from the trail.  Stone fireplace with steel swinging grates. Bring a ground cover because there are wide spaces between the floor boards.  You easily loose a lighter through the cracks.  Evidence of mice in the Adirondack style shelters.  Water is sporadic at the shelters, hand pumps, some wells are closed off.   Firewood supplied, mine was poplar wood that produces too much smoke.

If I was to do it again, I would simply ignore the shelters and steath camp a couple hundred yards off the trail.  Mainly because of the extra 1/2 to 3/4 mile off trail shelters but also due to the distance between the shelters.  I could better regulate the daily distance.

The trial was manicured the first half but not so on the second half (past the resort)

Contact Dane and order his book of the trail or visit his website and read the forum.
http://www.shol.com/featheredprop/lhht_info.htm

Circuit Hike Completed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: