Trail Talk
October 19, 2017, 12:27:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Straitsville sections  (Read 8264 times)
WillyP
Day Hiker

« on: January 24, 2011, 01:48:40 PM »

I would always welcome any input on the sections I maintain. Techumpsey Lake ( pt 22 ) to the old horse camp ( pt 24 ) and all road mileage from the Trailhead on Monday Creek Township Road 190 ( pt 28? )  on to the beginning of the Old Mans Cave sections just north of Logan. Thank you.

Pat Comer
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »

I did that section last spring and only noticed a few downed trees that you may have taken care of already.  I walked from Webb's summit to the Burr Oak office in about 2 1/2 days and found some moral mushrooms near my campsite.

I lost my way in the maze of 4 wheeler trails at one spot, probably due more to my inattention and zoning out than anything.

I lost my Kodak camera near Webb's summit the week before.

Circuit Hike Completed.
WillyP
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:26:44 AM »

I have trouble with a large section of white pines either breaking off or tipping over about every year. A few are a little more than I can safely handle alone. As far as the 4 wheelers I have tried several times to get some help from the FS rangers in the area stopping them, they are easily tracked back to where they come off private land, but I get no help. Sorry about the troubles. I am going to try and take care of  the few large uprooted trees  after spring gets here. Thanks for the input.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »

Sorry I could be more specific about where that was.  I remember that some trees had fallen over a board fence style near a gravel road.   The place where I missed the turns was between 25 and 24, I made it through ok.  That was last April so some of it is a little hazy.

Thanks for maintaining the trail for us.

Circuit Hike Completed.
WillyP
Day Hiker

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:14:47 PM »

I have not been on the part of the trail between 24 and 25. That is right in there near the old stone church and as part of the bridle trail it gets a lot of attention in there. I'm sort of surprised about it not being easier right in there. If you ever see my fifth wheel sitting at 28 feel free to stop and chat.

Pat
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »

I passed by the house of a man who said he used to tend parts of the Old Man's cave section.  He lives up past Enterprise at the end of a gravel road.

There were a lot of mushroom hunters out when I went through. 

Circuit Hike Completed.
WillyP
Day Hiker

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »

:-) April is pretty busy in there. Monday Creek Township has a trash pickup around mid month each year, mushroomers, turkey hunters, and a few folks like me dig ramps then too.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:43:24 AM »

Does the trail go past the old stone church?  My 3rd great grandfather is buried there.

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
WillyP
Day Hiker

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 12:04:36 AM »

It goes very near that on  a section that is maintained by the horse trail folks. If you want info on finding Stone Church I can direct you there. You have to park down on Stone Church Road and walk up. I noticed that several months ago there was a group up there, I think to work on the remains of the church. I and my wife have walked the cemetery a couple times.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 01:11:43 PM »

It goes very near that on  a section that is maintained by the horse trail folks. If you want info on finding Stone Church I can direct you there. You have to park down on Stone Church Road and walk up. I noticed that several months ago there was a group up there, I think to work on the remains of the church. I and my wife have walked the cemetery a couple times.

I will not need to park.  Hiking from Murray City.  I was there 35 years ago, and could not find the stone for my ggg grandfather & wife.

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »

Not all folks had head stones.  I have several relatives who never could afford them or whose relatives never bought stones.  A couple young boys died and were buried at Richmondale and had no stones but I found a few graves marked with rocks.

Monuments were bought from local hardware stores back then.  Most were precarved and only the name and dates were added later.  The soft sandstone wore away quickly and often over-zealous ground crews would pile the broken stones up in a corner "out of the way" so they could mow.

Some guy bought some land in Logan and bulldozed all of the stones out of the way so he could sit his trailer on the spot.

I know I have relatives buried all along that area.  It was a mining hub back then.

Circuit Hike Completed.
WillyP
Day Hiker

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »

I will not need to park.  Hiking from Murray City.  I was there 35 years ago, and could not find the stone for my ggg grandfather & wife.

The stone church is north out of the old horse camp that is at the end of my section. Some of the horse traveled sections get very soft this time of year.
redleg08
Day Hiker

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »

Has anyone done this whole section? I noticed on the map there are a lot of campsites. Is this a well marked trail for a beginner? Any help or feedback would be appreciated
WillyP
Day Hiker

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »

All Wayne NF is dispersed camping and I have not seen any sites marked other than an idea on the maps. I can say that the YCC went through last summer and cleaned trail all summer in this section. I have pretty fresh pain on my section of off road but I will clear deadfalls etc the last weeks of April or first of May after I am sure the ice storms are over. I will also repaint my road miles from point 28 to the Old Man's Cave section. All the horse trail sections are easy to follow but it is also easy to miss a turn here or there due to fire roads etc heading on at turns. You need to watch the blazes as you go and retrace/backtrack if you don't see one for a while. I'll be at point 28 the last two weeks of April for sure if you need a car watched or whatever. White 4 door truck and 5th wheel trailer. There will be several trailer in there at that time. Everyone will know me.

Pat Comer
WillyP
Day Hiker

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »

I still have about a 3/4 mile section from the lake headed towards the old horse camp that I have not cleared from this past storm. I may have more down due to storms in the area again. If anyone hikes the trail and has waypoints on down timber in sections please post them or you can email me.  Willyp1956 on G mail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: