Trail Talk
December 17, 2017, 03:54:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Straitsville section  (Read 1515 times)
Pedologist
Overnighter

« on: October 01, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »

I hiked from Pt. 6 (Boat Dock #3) to Pt. 24 (CW) of this section (Dec. '12 edition) last week, and I missed turns in two places. The 1st was on O'Dowd Wildlife Area where ATV tracks stayed in the valley heading W and the vegetated BT made a left turn uphill. The 2nd has at the kiosk/register at Lake Tecumseh (Pt. 22). Based on the online GIS map online, the trail must have made a left turn uphill at the kiosk, but the blazes painted on both sides of the kiosk made me think that the trail continued in the same direction and at roughly the same elevation. I found the well-blazed trail again by heading uphill after continuing around the lower hillside until I was close to Rt. 93. Both instances were my fault, but perhaps this post will help others from making the same mistakes.  Smiley

1,168 miles completed, including all sections in the main loop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: