Trail Talk
August 17, 2017, 05:32:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Straitsville - Wayne NF  (Read 2571 times)
Pedologist
Overnighter

« on: August 29, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »

I hiked between Pts 24 and 27 CW a few days ago and it was a very pleasant experience. I had to resort to GPS twice, after concluding that I had missed turns. I hesitate to label these as "problems," but my observations may be helpful to others.

The 1st was at Pt 26; I never did see an "oil can" there, but there is a plastic marker maybe 50' W of USFR743 in the first big clearing I saw S of T190. I presume that an oil or gas well and tank had been in the clearing at one time, based on the grading that had been done W of the lane. I decided to backtrack when I reached the end of the lane a few hundred feet S of Pt 26.

The 2nd was apparently at the Stone Creek NCT trailhead. The BT makes a sharp turn to the left (W), but plastic markers for another trail headed ESE across open strip mined land. I didn't notice a somewhat faded BT blaze indicating the turn and went a few hundred feet across the open field before realizing I was off the BT.

1,168 miles completed, including all sections in the main loop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: