Trail Talk
December 18, 2017, 04:16:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Fork - Wayne National Forest  (Read 5770 times)
kathyonbt
Section Hiker

« on: August 14, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »

Because of what I experienced in Whipple, I took these trails in pieces - hiking from May through July.  And avoiding hunting season.
While the Whipple part of WNF has some frequent drastic changes in elevation (you are, after all climbing over ridges - or is it out of valleys), the Road Fork section also has some good ups and downs. 
Keep your map handy or your GPS at the ready.  Once you get down in there there are NO road signs.  Posts are there, signs are not.  Well except for the St. Patrick's Cemetery Road sign at the bottom - but that's not a road unless you have a high profile vehicle with 4 wheel drive.
Plenty of places to pull off a car or two where the trail crosses a road.

The trail from the North Country Trailhead is easily followed down to and around the Archer's Fork Loop.  It's well traveled - by foot and, apparently, by mountain bike.  The area is scenic, pretty, with some nice rock formations and some decent views (there really weren't any views in the Whipple piece).
Met a couple people on the trail.  One guy just walked on by and, another time, spent a mile or so with a couple gentlemen who were taking the loop together for the first time in years (seemed like their Father's Day present).  Also ended up talking to a fellow at Irish Run and T-410 who was having a family reunion that day and invited me back.  He told me that, somewhere back on the less traveled/rutted part of Irish Run there were some 'boy scout trails' and there was an old Model A? T? back there in the woods.  It was nothing I saw.

Once you get off the Archer's fork loop it can be tough to see where the trail is.  Blazes are fairly frequent, if you can see them.  Although, if you've done this for a while, you do get a feel of where the 'corridors' are for the trail.  River bottoms seem to present a problem for me - this is where I tend to get hung up or lost in WNF.  The foliage gets high or invasive or downright jungle-like and I can't figure out which way to go.
I did better earlier in the season when things hadn't gotten large yet.

Kathy On BT 
"Not all who wander are lost."
Finished 8/30/2013 and going around again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: