Trail Talk
June 28, 2017, 09:55:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TRAIL TALK, the Buckeye Trail Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Fork - S from Jericho Low Gap/Ring Mill  (Read 4850 times)
kathyonbt
Section Hiker

« on: August 12, 2013, 06:49:13 PM »

You'll hear me say it a couple more times.  I've grown to hate stream/creek bottoms.
I would advise doing a lot of Road Fork trails earlier in the season (think spring or winter) rather than later.

I got to this piece the end of June and planned on a loop hike.  Trail to T-402 (Scott Road) then back along 26 and Jericho Low Gap.  I parked at Ring Mill.
Dew was heavy and I put my spare socks in my pocket (bad idea).  I got past the muddy 'road' portion and onto trail.  In short order I encountered foliage over my head.  I thrashed through and things opened up for a bit.  Then it got thick again.
I worked my way through about 1/2 mile and was completely soaked.  Hard to see where I was going due to the height of the foliage.  Had no good idea of where I was putting my feet.  Thought better of continuing.  River bottom in southern Ohio?  Sure snakes don't want to hang around as you walk by but I considered what I'd do if I twisted an ankle.
So, having no machete, I backed out.

I walked Jericho Low Gap and some of 26.  Also walked Old Camp Road.  For those of you considering a road hike around this area, be advised there is a crossover at Knowlton Bridge.  If you come from the north, cross on the bridge and take the ATV trail to Old Camp, turn left to catch the trail again.
From the south, follow Old Camp until it makes a left and up a little hill.  The ATV trail is off to your right before you make the turn.  It's not more than 100 feet to the bridge.  The Jan 2005 map shows a road intersecting there that doesn't anymore.

Blazes were pretty plentiful but trail was difficult for me due to plant life.

Kathy On BT 
"Not all who wander are lost."
Finished 8/30/2013 and going around again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: