Trail Talk
November 24, 2017, 05:30:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 33 miles of BT  (Read 3743 times)
PilotBMP
Day Hiker

« on: February 04, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »

I am planning on hiking 33 miles of the trail (point 23 of old mans cave section CW to point 12 of scoot section).  I plan on 11/day so does anyone know of any good spots to stop around that mileage?  I have the maps and I saw 2 campgrounds along my path but they don't fit my planned stops.

Ben
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:38:30 PM »

I can possibly drop you off on certain days when I pass nearby on my way to Columbus.  I started at point 22 which is the parking lot of Ash Cave and walked all the way to Tar Hollow in a day which is a lot farther than 11 miles.

Be aware of the re-route at Richmondale unless you have a map newer than 2005. Be prepared to climb over parked RR cars on the tracks at old 35.  There was active logging going on when I passed through in November of 09 on a hill between old and new 35.  

I can't help you with camping spots other than a mile or two walk on the Logan trail to a camp ground in Tar Hollow SP.

Point 12 will be at the end of Higby road (unless your map is different) where you can stop at the foundation of a burnt out building.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:19:10 PM by Pioneer Spirit » Logged

Circuit Hike Completed.
PilotBMP
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:45:14 PM »

Thank you so much for the insight!  I bought these maps in November so I hope they are current.  I can't wait to get on the trail!
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »

http://buckeyetrail.org/sec-sciototrail.html

I think you have a newer map.  You will also cross a farm field at Londonderry toward Lickskillet (I came in from the other direction)  Follow the fence line for a bit, your destination will be another gate over the hill to the left and towards the center more or less.  The field was full of cows back then.

When you come down the big hill to Londonderry from the north, you will see the campground to the right.  You will follow the fence/field to the right heading to the house.  Your goal is to end up on the long driveway out to US 50.  The fields were in corn when I passed through and some were being harvested.

It took me two days to get from Ash cave to US 50 for a total mileage of:

Date:                 Map:                  Start:                Finish:              Miles walked:
10/10/2009   Old man's cave   Ash cave                Tar Hollow     19.2
10/11/2009   Scioto trails   Tar Hollow   Londonderry   11.7

Circuit Hike Completed.
Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »

At Tar Hollow there is also the primitive campsite near the fire tower.  The BT goes right past the tower, so it is very close to the trail.

Buckeye
PilotBMP
Day Hiker

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I was hoping to use the primitive site so I will have to adjust accordingly.  I have some new gear and it's been a while since I've been out so I'm trying to keep my mileage attainable.  I hope to pull this off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: