Trail Talk
June 26, 2017, 01:17:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Loop  (Read 5997 times)
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« on: March 31, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »

I'm starting to ponder the Little Loop as an immediate future goal.  I'll be doing a chunk on my way to the Buckeye Trail Fest and thought, why not keep going and log all the 229 miles in jointed section hikes.  
What was the experience (views, trails, points of interest) like on any of the sections (Bedford, Burton, Mogadore, Massillon, and Akron) that make up the LL? 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:07:12 AM by Charlie Redwood » Logged
kathyonbt
Section Hiker

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »

Charlie,
  It's been quite a few years since I've done the little loop but there are numerous interesting points along the way.  Lake Erie views through Mentor Marsh and Mentor Headlands.  Hiking around Mogadore Reservoir.  The Cuyahoga Valley State Park in Akron, as well as the Towpath trail - old Locks and beavers.  Deer Lick Cave and Blue Hen Falls - I think that's still Bedford, may be Akron, don't have the maps on me.  Penitentiary Glen and the views of the quarry, lake, and Cleveland skyline in Chapin Forest (associations with the Mormon migration here).  Old parts of the canal in the Massillon section.  Nesting eagles and herons in Cuyahoga Valley as well as the bridge a group of guys plotted to blow up a year or so back.
Bike path has been added on and you now walk through downtown Chardon (I think).  Burton has Amish country and a number of nice off road walks - Girdled Road is an experience and the Flintstone House is nearby (you pass it).  You pass right by Patterson Orchard - great in the fall.

Think when I finish the trail this year (cross your fingers) I might do the little loop again for fun.
Enjoy, Kathy

Kathy On BT 
"Not all who wander are lost."
Finished 8/30/2013 and going around again
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:35:17 PM »

If you mean when you finish the entire Buckeye Trail, then good luck.
Boomer-Sooner
Day Hiker

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »

I finished the Little Loop last year and Kathyonbt is spot on with the description of the different things to see and experience. My favorite "side" of the loop is the west sections of Bedford, Akron Massillon. The majority is on trail from South Chagrin Reservation to the Boy Scout camp near Zoarville OH. There are plenty of access to parking as I am a day hiker. The Burton and Mogadore sections has more road versus trail, but the towns along the way are interesting diversions.

Need to finish the Medina Section from the Rail to Trail park to Findley State Park. Also have only 17 miles of Bowerston Section to finish and set an objective to finish Belle Valley this summer. I live in Broadview Heights just 2 miles from the BT and a volunteer Trail Blazer in CVNP. Glad to share information or hike with anyone heading the same direction.

Boomer-Sooner
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 04:47:01 PM »

Is there a known or recorded speed record for the Little Loop portion of the Buckeye Trail?
Buckeye Commander
Day Hiker

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »

Were you at my presentation last night?

My answer, not that I know of.  But the trail changes, so each FKT would have an asterisk.

Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »

I was not there.  Doesn't every trail change over time with reroutes? Yet there is a FKT for the AT.
Buckeye Commander
Day Hiker

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 02:50:03 PM »

You are right.  And nothing wrong with trying to set a FKT for the Little Loop.  It could be very interesting.  I would support tracking such a thing.

Five of us are going to do the AKRON section in a day (we hope) on May 10.  We will start at Brecksville at 7am more or less and hike until we finish in Crystal Springs.  We are targeting 24 hours for the 57 mile section.  This may take longer depending on the weather and our desire or need to take more breaks.

If you want to join, send me an email at bthikerroberts@gmail.com

This is posted on our meetup site as well.

https://www.meetup.com/Crooked-River-Chapter-Buckeye-Trail-Association/events/238945838/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: