Trail Talk
December 16, 2017, 07:12:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for suggestions  (Read 2659 times)
Chillmaker
Day Hiker

« on: August 24, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »

Hello everyone!  I'm really excited to have discovered something so fascinating as the BT right here in Ohio! I haven't set foot on the trail yet, but hope to do some short day hikes with my boys ( 12 & 9 ) soon and maybe two or three days of backpacking in October ( if we can get all the gear together ). I haven't hiked or backpacked in a long, long ( long ) time but my boys have got me pretty stoked about it. We live just south of Columbus and are looking at the Scioto Trail section and I'm curious if anyone has suggestions on how to break this up for a beginner with kids.  For instance, is Scioto Trails State Park to Pike Lake doable in a day?  How about Tar Hollow to Scioto Trail?  How are the camping at these two?  Etc... Any input would be great!  I look forward to joining the assoc & buying maps next week!
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »

I packed from Scioto trails to Londonderry in a hard day of about 17 miles.  I would not want to push young ones doing something that long on a trail that is often not cleared.  I would want to stay around 10 miles to start or they will end up hating the whole trip.  Without the map in front of me I believe Pike Lake to Scioto trails to many miles.

Edit:  Spread sheet of miles

Date:   Map:                       Start:                    Finish:                         Miles walked:        Total Miles:
11/14/2010   Scioto Trails   Point 23 (26) Prussia rd.   Point 19                     7.2                           483.65
9/15/2011   Scioto Trails   Pike Lake dam            Penniston Cemetery   10 +/-                             990.3
9/17/2011   Scioto Trails   Penniston Cemetery   Pt. 26 Prussia Rd.   10.8 +/-                           1001.9
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:43:49 PM by Pioneer Spirit » Logged

Circuit Hike Completed.
Chillmaker
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »

Thanks!   I definitely need to get maps!  Is there another section convenient to Columbus that might be better to start out on?  I don't want to wear these little guys out, but they're adventurous types, so I need to start out interesting/fun.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »

Take them to Old man's cave and walk the 6 miles to Ash Cave.  A lot of the trail around the state is roadwalking which is easy in most areas.   My favorite length is from The Southern terminus all the way to Cleveland, all easy flat miles.

Pick up and Ohio Gazeteer to go with your maps.  It always has the BT on it although not always accurately.

I'm not to far away over here in Vinton County.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: