Trail Talk
May 25, 2017, 12:56:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backpacking Gear List - Gear Grams  (Read 10569 times)
Buckeye
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:51:17 AM »

Backpackers are always looking for the latest and mosat of the time lightest gear they can find.  I use a website (www.geargrams.com) to list my gear and their associated weights to determine how much weight my body is really carrying.  Gear Grams is an easy to use and free site.  One can categorize gear by type or function, and create a report that shows the weights and percentages for each category.

I encourage you to add you gear list here.  Sharing ideas helps us all become more efficient backpackers!
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »

Thanks for the link, I'll have to play with this. I went through most of my stuff 9 years ago and dropped 60% of my pack weight to make it easier to keep up with Boy Scouts 1/3 of my age. Now I can focus on enjoying the trips and keeping things simple. During this year's Winter Hike at Hocking Hills I saw someone carrying a North Face Sweeper. It's 9x heavier than my current pack (34oz vs. 3.8oz), but I'm ready to have multiple pockets to organize gear instead of the single internal pocket and a couple meager mesh pockets that most internal frames have become. Main thing that caught my eye was the bottom compartment that has drain holes and would be perfect for my tarp. That would allow the pack to remain closed when taking the tarp down in the rain and allow water to drain out instead of getting other gear wet. Still thinking about it .. 1850ci is plenty for what I take on 4-5 day trips.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Buckeye
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:47:06 PM »

Anytime...hopefully you'll find the link useful.  I am sure there are other sites out there that do the same thing, I found that Gear Grams works for me.

I just bought an Osprey Exos 58, about 3800 cu. in.  I am a believer in making my load as light as possible, but also there are some creature comforts I just have to have.  My previous pack was the Osprey Aether 70.  I like how the Osrepys ride, they are comfortable, and have most of the bells and whistles I am looking for.  The Aether is over five pouns though, so the Exos will help, coming in around 2.5 pounds.

Darryl
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »

Osprey Exos is a great series, especially during very hot weather since it provides a gap between your back and the pack. I regularly hike with a fellow that has an Exos 46 and I've looked at the Exos 34, but I keep thinking how nice more pockets would be.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:07 PM »

The Exos 58 does have more pockets than the Aether, which surprised me.  Two mesh "water bottle" type pockets on the sides, and two mesh hip belt pockets, plus the floating top and two separate zippered compartments on either side of the main area.  I haven't worn it yet, but hoping to in April for my first backpacking trip of the year.

Darryl
wvgrinder
Day Hiker

Hiker Trash

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »

Anytime...hopefully you'll find the link useful.  I am sure there are other sites out there that do the same thing, I found that Gear Grams works for me.

I just bought an Osprey Exos 58, about 3800 cu. in.  I am a believer in making my load as light as possible, but also there are some creature comforts I just have to have.  My previous pack was the Osprey Aether 70.  I like how the Osrepys ride, they are comfortable, and have most of the bells and whistles I am looking for.  The Aether is over five pouns though, so the Exos will help, coming in around 2.5 pounds.

Darryl

I recently purchased an Exos 58 myself.  Yesterday, I tossed about 20 lbs. of stuff in it & walked 10 miles.  The load felt really good & at times I forgot that I had a pack on.  I'm really looking forward to using it on a real trail soon.  Grin
Buckeye
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »

Good to hear, WV!  I am going to try mine out tomorrow for the first time, doing six-ish miles at Fort Hill, with around twenty pounds.  I am hoping for the same result you had.

Buckeye
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: