Trail Talk
August 22, 2017, 04:41:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pine Mountain Trail - KY  (Read 3107 times)
Buckeye
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »

Has anyone hiked all or part of the Pine Mountain Trail in Kentucky?  Just looking for some input as to how you arranged your trip, what distances you did each day, shuttles, water, etc.  Having done a fifty mile backpacking trip on the BT earlier this year, and a ten mile day hike on the AT a couple of weeks ago, I realize that I like mountain views a heck of a lot better than asphalt pounding!

Buckeye
Pedologist
Overnighter

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:24:12 PM »

I hiked part of it with 2 others in June 2002. We started at the Elkhorn City end, but I'm not sure that we found the exact trailhead. We had planned to spend 2 nights on the trail and reach Mullins Pond, but we decided to descend on a side trail (201C) S to Rt. 611 after the 2nd night and hitch a ride to the vehicle parked at Mullins Pond. The initial climb from where we parked near the Blue Hole was really steep, and there was some confusion with the trail and an oil well road. We also were sidetracked a little where AEP was mining coal. The biggest issue was finding fresh water hiking on the ridgetop. We were dehydrated at the end of the 2nd day, and I descended to 1840' to find water in Left Fork on the next morning. The views, particularly to the SE, were outstanding. To be fair, we were not experienced (or smart) hikers.

1,168 miles completed, including all sections in the main loop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: