Trail Talk
November 24, 2017, 05:29:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bedford E of Som Center  (Read 976 times)
kathyonbt
Section Hiker

« on: March 10, 2015, 06:26:38 PM »

Decided, with warmer weather, to see about a hike along the trail down in Bedford last weekend.  I parked just east of SomCenter and got onto the APT.  Still cold enough for ice so I ended up on the road (Hawthorn Parkway).  I'd seen signs that someone had been over on the trail and, after a bit, saw some tracks that led over to it.

OK, rats, deer track.  Up to my knees in snow.  Got over to the trail.  Good.
OK, maybe not.  The tracks I had seen on the bridle trail/Buckeye Trail were footprints, but the four legged variety.  Apparently two horses had been through.
The thawed and refrozen snow mostly kept my weight, but it was slow going.  After a few hundred yards, I gave up.  Found the closest point back over to the APT and started in.  Snow up to my thighs!
I ended up crawling over the piled snow to get out. Wink

Hopefully the current warm weather will drop the snowpack to a passable level for next weekend. 

Kathy On BT 
"Not all who wander are lost."
Finished 8/30/2013 and going around again
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 11:54:15 PM »

Interesting stuff. I did not realize the snow pack was so deep in northeast Ohio. Today in Dayton, with a bit of rain, the snow pack is all melted except for where the snow was piled up by plowing or shoveling. The ground is pretty bare here.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: