Trail Talk
September 20, 2017, 02:17:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TRAIL TALK, the Buckeye Trail Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiking Old Man's Cave  (Read 1254 times)
kathyonbt
Section Hiker

« on: April 14, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »

Hello, all,
  I've been working on the Old Man's Cave section, started there this year and headed east.  1150 miles so far.

So far going well (I did the Ash Cave to Old Man's Cave last fall).  Theme for the last (points 27 to 30) is a river runs through it.  The eastern side of Albright Road and certainly Lady Run Rd made it hard to stay dry.
  The clear cut at the top of Riddle/Lady Run had me puzzled a bit but found blazes off in the distance (you just basically stay on top of the ridge on fist sized rocks).  At one point, two blazes on a tree had me off on some old trail but no blue had me turning around pretty quickly. (travel was counterclockwise)

I climbed Pretty Run going clockwise and found a small rock slide just beyond the third small reentrant.  The brambles on the eastern slope as you climb are already encroaching on the trail.  I wouldn't try it much longer in shorts.  Also some more bramble issues on top of the ridge but not so intrusive.
  Otherwise, pleasant and well marked.  My only uncertain moment was coming to the stream from the black walnuts.

The hike between Kreashbaum Road and Rocky Fork was wonderful and pretty easily followed and well trod.  Lack of a lot of understory makes the views grand and the hike pleasant.  I really enjoyed it.  Some nice wildflowers near the roads.
   The part closest to Starr Route is beginning to be overrun with Rosa rugosa.
  Wildcat Road was quite nice, relatively lightly travelled, and full of wildflowers (violets everywhere) and rock formations.
   Bring dry socks for the Bill Miller trail.  Coming down from Lake Logan someone had spray painted over the blue blazes with a vibrant purple, but you could still tell which way to go.  I had read that there was a footbridge over Duck Creek but there's a swampy area just before it.  Couldn't find a decent way around and balanced on a branch partway across (it doesn't span the spot).  Slid in to muck up to my ankles.  Oh, well, feet didn't dry for 3 hours.

Will be finished with it next time out and on to New Straitsville.

Kathy On BT 
"Not all who wander are lost."
Finished 8/30/2013 and going around again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: