Trail Talk
May 26, 2017, 01:29:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: East side of Cleveland  (Read 5234 times)
BlueHeron
Day Hiker

BlueHeron

« on: March 20, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »

Hello!

I'm new to the Buckeye Trail and have just started to walk the Burton section.  I'm located in an east side suburb so I'm looking for like-minded (or like-footed) local hikers.  I can only walk shorter distances at a time, so my Burton section hike alone will probably span this spring into summer.  As I walked the northern most part of the Burton section from Headlands park this weekend I noticed other fresh footprints along the way.  Is someone else also walking this stretch?  If you owned the boot prints, and not the Canadian goose prints, then send back a shout out!  I'd love to wave at you as you pass this slow poke by!

BlueHeron

Hiking the Burton section
Boomer-Sooner
Day Hiker

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »

Hello Blue Heron. Nice to find someone local hiking the east side of the big loop. I have completed the Bedford, Akron, Mogadore and 1/2 of Medina. I am working on the Massillon and will tackle the Burton section. I am interested in finding people to weekend hike sections by spotting cars on either end on hikes to maximize the distance. I generally like to cover 9 to 12 miles in a hike. I hike at a steady speed of 3 MPH. I live in Broadview Heights

If you have interest in completing sections with someone else, let me know. Otherwise.........see you on the trail. Also let me know how the Burton Section hikes ( good or bad). I finished Burton at Headlands Beach, but haven't made a step on Burton Section. Lastly, if you need info on Bedford, Akron, Medina,

BlueHeron
Day Hiker

BlueHeron

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:33:28 PM »

Hello Boomer-Sooner!  Does this mean you are a middle aged Oklahoman?

You're moving at a faster clip than we are able, so we'll see you on the trail as you pass us by!  I'm also a boomer, walking my way back to better health, so last weekend's 5.2 mile hike took some hours.  I'm very grateful for the benches that someone had the foresight to include on the Greenway Corrider!

So far, the Burton section from Headlands Beach to Concord is a very easy, paved walk.  There's a slow but steady increase in altitude rise the farther you walk from the lake, but we Heights people expect that!

We're also using the two-car method.  That's fine as long as we're hiking locally, but it will be costly when we start a new section.  I've been looking into a small scooter that I can load into the back of the truck.  Anyone got a good source for a good used
small motorized vehicle?

See you on the trail!

Boomer-Sooner
Day Hiker

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »

Yes..........I am from Oklahoma. Nice to hear the conditions from Headlands to Concord are good. I heard of a BT hiker spotting a bicycle at the end of the hike to backtrack to the car. Scooter sounds better.

Mayber see you on the trail someday.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:36:58 PM »

I plan on being in the Brecksville area on Saturday.   Poppie will be dropping me off on one of the unfinished sections in that region.

I need from point 1 to 13 on the Akron section, 25.9 miles.  Also Bedford point 9+ at Richmond road to Headlands beach.  Burton pt 22+ to end, about five miles. 

I would like to finish Akron Saturday by beginning at the top around 7 am and doing the hard part first before getting picked up by Poppie after his scout show.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »

Brecksville trail junction 15 miles to Peninsula completed yesterday.   Well marked trail, clear but muddy thanks to horses.   Extremely rugged land with a few staircases on the steep hills.

Ran across a volunteer CNP trail crew using the typical tools plus a motorizes wheel barrow.

Colder temperatures, time constraints plus that choo-choo blocking the trail prevented me from going further so I stopped short at 4 pm.

This section is more rugged and more scenic than say Shawnee IE.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »

Finished Akron Saturday by parking at peninsula and took the train south to Botzum.  Cost $5 for a hiker and $2 if I had a bike.  From there I walked the bike trail south to Smith road before turning around and heading back north.
Smith road intersection has been changed since last year, the parking area across from the motorcycle club is gone now.  Could use a little reblazing at this corner.

Perfect weather for the hike, lots of people wandering around on the trails.   About 50 miles remain ( Belle valley) for me to complete the main loop around the state.  Poppy, Rocket and I will take on the stupid loop next week.

Circuit Hike Completed.
BlueHeron
Day Hiker

BlueHeron

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »

Danced a happy dance as we crossed from Lake County to Geauga County today.  Stopped today at Big Creek reservation in Geauga Park District.  They have a fabulous camping area, complete with platformed lean-tos with fire places. 

I applaud your pending achievement, Pioneer Spirit!  I'll celebrate virtually when you finish the loop!

BlueHeron
Day Hiker

BlueHeron

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »

What a lovely day to hike through Chardon!  We started at the campgrounds in Big Creek and walked through Chardon Square to the Maple Highlands trailhead.  The trail winds through Big Creek in a well blazed route.  Good thing, sometimes the trail wasn't very defined - not much travel on a few short sections, but the blazes were well marked.

North Street really was a dangerous area, especially since Chardon was hosting it's Maple Festival and thousands of people were on the square. But, funnel cakes are perfect hike rewards!

BlueHeron
Day Hiker

BlueHeron

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »

Walked the Maple Highlands Trail today.  Beautiful day for it!  Lots of bicyclers on the trail.  Had a great dinner afterwards at Bass Lake Tavern. 

This two-car thing is getting expensive.  I'll need to find another solution.  Anyone have a moped or scooter for sale?

BlueHeron
Day Hiker

BlueHeron

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 04:11:51 PM »

We returned to the Burton section yesterday.  We've started the Bedford due to the two car shuffle expense, but since we were camping at Punderson, we walked from the North End of East Branch Reservoir to Burton Square on the Burton Section.  It was a beautiful day to walk past the small farms in the area.  Almost as soon as we wondered out loud, our question was answered, Do Amish golf?  Yep, a few guys on a golf cart were swinging clubs at the course on 608.  Thankfully, the trail was well marked because we lost the map just before we started.  Kudos to whomever is maintaining this section!

BlueHeron

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: