Trail Talk
August 19, 2017, 08:50:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Off Road?  (Read 4389 times)
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« on: March 16, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »

The Buckeye Trail is currently know for having a lot of "road walk".  However, I have a question for the hikers out there.  What do you consider "On Road"?  This question came up in a discussion about sidewalks.  Should they be viewed as "On Road" or "Off Road".  What about paved bike trails?  Old farm tracks and jeep trails?
HRealist
Day Hiker

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »

Hmm, well I consider "On Road" to be anything next to a road or anything likely to have a lot of traffic (foot or bicycle). So Sidewalks, paved hike & bike trails, and gravel trails are "on road" whether they parallel a car-road or not; old farm tracks/jeep trails/unpaved grassy or dusty or compact sand trails are "off road".
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »

I consider on road to be a place where you may be struck by motorized vehicles.  Bike trails do not apply.  Sidewalks may be urban but you are not expected to come in contact with a car.  Most road walking is not dangerous except on a couple places.  250/13 comes to mind and one at Batavia to Milford.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »

Sidewalks and bike trails to me are not off road.  I can be struck by a bicycle on any bike trail, and if I am not walking on rocks and dirt (before they are combined into concrete) then it's not off road.  I hate walking the Little Miami Scenic Trail.  It's not very scenic (think honeysuckle tunnel) except in the winter, and the blacktop is hard on the feet/boots.  That's not even hiking, it's walking!   Grin

But the BT is a different sort of trail, allowing small town experiences, and those are found on sidewalks and bike paths.  I wish we would put some effort in creating the one hundred mile corridor for backpackers (see my article in the latest Trailblazer).  The BT could and should be both.  

My two cents...wait, inflation...my three cents!

Buckeye
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:48:08 AM by Buckeye » Logged
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »

A better measure for the Buckeye Trail should be "paved" versus "not paved". This is more relevant to the hiker.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:29 AM »

Agreed, Cap'n...that is a much better way to define the trail.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:14:39 AM »

I would further subdivide that to in some indicate how busy it is.  For me, the Little Miami Bike Trail (considered 'off-road') is generally so busy as to be undesirable, while Sunshine Ridge Rd (a mostly dirt road in the Shawnee section) has almost no traffic of any kind.  Even if the bike trail were unpaved and the road completely paved, I would still prefer hiking the road over the bike trail.
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:26:40 AM »

It's not off road unless it's dirt walking and I can't see, nor hear civilization.  I'm an outdoor snob that way.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:59:48 PM by Charlie Redwood » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: