Trail Talk
May 25, 2017, 12:13:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kent/Portage County  (Read 8123 times)
HRealist
Day Hiker

« on: March 13, 2012, 05:36:20 PM »

Hi Everyone!
Apparently not a lot of discussion on this side of the board but I just wanted to introduce myself (and my crew) briefly.
We're a group of current Kent Students and recent alumnis interested in working our way through the Buckeye Trail. Our current plan is to do each section in two chunks, spending a weekend on each chunk, looking at starting in early May (Yeah, we've been warned about the mosquitoes and black flies!)

The last trail I backpacked was the western side of the Wonderland Trail - we only made it about 30 miles before one of my two crewmembers wimped out. My other companion and I had to split his pack so he could make it to the road. . .for some reason he thought that because he was military he'd be able to handle the Wonderland without any training. Can't say we didn't warn him!

Anyway, since most of my current crew are pretty unfamiliar with backpacking we thought the Buckeye Trail looked like a fun way to get into it. Some of the sections look more challenging so I think we'll save them for later (I hear the Shawnee section is a real bugger?). Any suggestions or tips or comments on the trail would be really welcome, since this is our first time hiking it!
NeXt SteP72
Day Hiker

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »

That is Great!!! I and a friend have been hiking the trail in the same pattern.... We will be hiking from Milford to Yellow Springs at the end of May... If you would Like to know anything about the trail, I would talk to Capt Blue, Poppie, or Richard Morgan ... Great Fella's and kmow many things about the BT... God Bless.. Oh Yes! Shawnee , I got lost and hiked myself to a near death.. Ha Ha.. Just Joking... Well maybe not!
Ray
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:23:07 AM »

Let me know when you are thinking of doing the Bowerston Section and I can supply any info you need such as camping areas,etc.The Bowerston Section has some great off-road trails in the Lake areas. We in Harrison County are really excited about having the Buckeye Trail and will do all we can to make your trek thru as enjoyable as possible. Several are coming from Cincinnati,Dayton and Columbus with Capt. Blue this week-end to hike with some of our local hikers, we hope to show them a GOOD TIME !
rocket
Day Hiker

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:13:48 PM »

I may be able to help with portion of the St. Mary's section.

Rocket

Sections Completed:St. Mary's,Troy,Caesar Creek,Loveland,Delphos,Road Fork,Defiance,
Burton,Pemberville,Belle Valley
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »

We will be in your area next week.   Some if us will be in the Akron area next Thursday 22 and 24.  I will walk from Canal Fulton south to crystal springs.  Poppie and others will join me that afternoon.

Saturday I will try to finish the top of Bowerston.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Pedologist
Overnighter

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:11:35 PM »

I hiked north of Canal Fulton last week to Barberton on the Akron Section. I'm pretty sure that I could have avoided the on-road segment that includes Pt. 24 by taking a newly constructed section of trail just S of the Wolf Creek trailhead. I think locals were able to get from one end to the other (~1 mi.), but I played it safe and obeyed the temporary "Trail Closed" sign.

1,168 miles completed, including all sections in the main loop.
Buckeye
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:04:39 AM »

I have some info on stealth camping sites along the Loveland section, and could help with a shuttle or two if given enough notice (and I don't already have something planned).

Buckeye
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »

Of course, since this is an official site of the Buckeye Trail Association, I should add:

<disclaimer to keep lawyers happy> The Buckeye Trail Association expressly discourages the practice of 'stealth camping' anywhere along the trail. </disclaimer to keep lawyers happy>
HRealist
Day Hiker

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the offered help everyone! Grin We'll definitely be taking y'all up on that extra help as we work our way through. (I told my crew about the possible unusual sleep sights, including graveyard camping and one of them was like, I WILL NOT SLEEP IN A GRAVEYARD IT IS TOO CREEPY. . .hehe!  Wink)
I just discovered the local library has a book called Follow the Blue Blazes: A Guide to Hiking the Buckeye Trail, so mayhaps that will also offer some additional insight.
We've decided the first section we're going to tackle is Akron since its so close; we're ordering the map today (WOO! Payday!). We've also got some training hikes planned for the Portage Hike and Bike trail- I'll have to post our proposed training schedule past y'all once I get it fleshed out and see if anyone has any suggestions/additions since I've never really tried to introduce anyone to backpacking before and our current known abilities range from 3 miles is exhausting (no weight) to 6 miles (no weight) is an afternoon saunter. Still, woo! I'm getting excited Cheesy
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »

"Follow The Blue Blazes" is an excellent book.  The author is a long-time BTA member.  He (along with his wife) hiked every mile of the trail, so when you read about a suggested hike in that book, be assured the author actually walked it.

I strongly suggest you pick up your own copy at the website store (http://www.buckeyetrail.org/onlinestore.html).  But if you are planning to buy a lot of maps (and the book), I would first suggest joining the Buckeye Trail Association.  For student's it is a bargain $10 per year.  You can join at http://www.buckeyetrail.org/memberform.html.  If you buy the book and one map after you join, you will have already recovered $7 of your $10!

Enjoy your hikes!
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 03:27:46 PM »

From Ravenna and will kick off my 2013 Little Loop Tour in April as I head to the Buckeye Trail Fest.  I plan to log 50 miles of the 229 miles on my way to the party!  I plan on several section hikes thereafter if anyone is interested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: