Trail Talk
May 24, 2017, 09:30:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TRAIL TALK, the Buckeye Trail Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bedford section vs. Burton section  (Read 2805 times)
papaO
Day Hiker

« on: March 06, 2012, 10:49:08 PM »

Hello.
     Wondering if anyone can give a comparison of the Bedford section to the Burton section. Myself and another Dad will be taking 5 boy scouts on a 5 day trip this summer. Our original plan was to hike the Bedford section from Brecksville to Headlands park, ending up at the beach for a picnic and some swimming. It appears the Burton section could be a viable alternative with the same ending point. I'm looking for any pros or cons of each section and any advice you can offer. Which will be more fun for the boys?
     To let you know a bit about our group... the boys ages range from 13 to 17. They all went on a 50 mile hike along the AT last summer through the Shenandoah valley. So they have some experience. This year we're just looking for something closer to home. I realize finding places to camp each night could be our biggest challenge.
     Opinions?

Thanks for anything you can offer.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:00:44 PM »

This is a tough question and basically a toss up to me. Both sections are very nice, have unique sites and are worth hiking the entire section.

For your group perhaps Bedford is the best section. A quick glance of the maps shows it has less road walking and more campsite possibilities. Plus it would allow you to hike north to Lake Erie and not have to read the map descriptions backwards.

However, on my recent thru hike the towns of Chardon and Burton were a "must see" for me. They are in the Bedford section.

Please check my road walking and camping claim between the Bedford and Burton sections. I could be wrong.

I hope this helps!

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Boomer-Sooner
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »

The Bedford Section would be suggested over the Burton Section. Most of the Bedford is "On Trail" versus "On Rode" Although their may not be as many designated camping sites, there are many churches  or fire stations along the route that would allow a BS Troup to camp overnight. The Bedford Section goes through the Bedford reservations, South Chargrin Reservation, North Chagrin Reservation, Chargrin River and other parks that vary in terrain and different experiences. Burton has it high points of the towns of  Charden and   Burton in Amish country, but a fair amount of "on road".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: