Trail Talk
October 30, 2014, 01:28:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choice of Treking Poles  (Read 2246 times)
Ray
Day Hiker

« on: March 04, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »

I'm at the point that I want to move forward from just a hiking stick to treking poles.I do lots of day hikes 5 to 10 miles and some backpacking. I'm willing to pay the price for something good,but I'll not be thru hiking, so don't need the very best. Any help in what I should look for would be appreciated.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »

The poles I currently use are the Black Diamond Spire Elliptic Poles. I really like them. They cost about $90 two years ago.

These poles are rigid and don't have the anti-shock feature.  I never did like the anti-shock feature on poles. Too mushy and noisy. The marketing literature makes the anti-shock feature sound like a must-have. But for me it is not.

You will probably like any trekking poles you get if you are switching from a wooden staff. It is a big leap in terms of comfort, safety and ease of use.

My main recommendation is not get poles with a twist lock mechanism. Look for a flip-lock. It is much easier to collapse poles with a flip lock mechanism. I will never go back to twist lock. If you pay about $100 you will get a good set of poles that should last a long time and come with a great warranty.

Leki is a good brand too.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »

A cheap entry level stick may be obtained from Walmart for under $20.  It is an inexpensive way to test pole use before upgrading to better sticks.  They are flip locks and the lock can be adjusted with a screw driver.

If you wish to try a solid stick or do not intend to hold up a tent/tarp then try old ski poles before spending big bucks.

I found a pair of new $100+ Leki ski poles with the store tags still attached for under $10 at a goodwill store.

I never used two at once and find I end up carrying one rather than using it so it is a personal style issue.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Ray
Day Hiker

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »

Thanks guys.I really appreciate the fact that you not only made suggestions,but went the extra mile to give me the reasons behind your thoughts. You fellows are the ones I really wanted to hear from, you have lots of miles behind you and I deeply respect your experience.
WillyP
Day Hiker

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »

just in case anyone is researching trekking poles I will add in my pick. I have a set of Black Diamond Trail Shocks and love them. I have carpel tunnel and get tennis elbow and they keep me from having issues after days of use unlike poles with no antishock in them. I plant my poles hard when I am using them so that may be part of my issue but I still love the poles.
Buckeye
Administrator
Circuit Hiker

Hike the Buckeye Trail!

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »

I use Leki Super Makalu that I purchased for $60.00 via the American Hiking Society.  I have used them for nearly four years now.  I do have issues from time to time with them tightening when I extend them to use, but I can usually fix that within a few moments.

Buckeye

Board of Trustees member, Organizer of the Miami Rivers Chapter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: