Trail Talk
February 25, 2018, 11:38:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • BTA Annual Meeting: May 20, 2011 - May 22, 2011
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BTA Annual Meeting - Tappan Lake Barn  (Read 14722 times)
Buckeye
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:42:31 AM »

BTA 2011 - 52nd Annual Meeting
May 20-22, 2011

BTA Barn
Beall Rd.
Deersville, OH

Come spend the weekend in scenic Harrison County off the beaten path at the Buckeye Trail barn on Beall Road on Tappan Lake, starting Friday night May 20, 2011 to Sunday, May 22nd
You all need to come and see the great renovations to the barn that have been made since our last meeting in 2007. For those of you who want to stay at the barn there are finished dorm rooms that have bunk beds in them.

Other housing will consist of trailering on the grounds at the barn (NO hookups) and tent camping on the grounds. One cabin at Tappan Lake Park will be reserved for the BTA. It will house 6 people, if a group would want to choose that way to camp. Reservations may be made at the park office (740-922-3649) for those of you who have trailers and want to have hookups. There are two bed and breakfasts to contact: Heavelin B&B between the barn and Cadiz off SR#250 (740-942-3572), and the Bell’s B&B in Deersville (740- - ); the Best Western Motel in Uhrichsville is another option (740-922-0774).

Many activities are planned for this weekend: hiking, fishing (must have a license), pontoon boat ride on Tappan Lake on Saturday afternoon (dress warm), biking, and boating (Kayak, or canoes if you have one) the input area is just down the path from the barn. Sites to see would be the Dennison Railroad Museum, the Reeves Museum in Dover, and the Mooney Warther Train Museum in Dover.

Hikes on the Buckeye trail at Tappan are scheduled and a bike ride on the Conotton Valley Trail is scheduled (bring your own bike). After the morning meeting on Saturday, a short hike on the trail from the barn to Tappan Lake Park campground can be done. It is an example of just one of the trails that the trail crew puts in around the state of Ohio on the BT.

The fee structure this year will be a flat rate of $50.00 per person with a half rate for children 10 years and under. This includes all the meals from Friday night to Sunday morning, housing, speakers, snacks. Deadline for registration will be May 31st.

Friday starts out with registration beginning at 4 P.M., with an evening meal at 6 P.M. On Friday evening socializing will be held with Kathy Hamilton (remember 2007) getting us revved up for the weekend with ice breakers and all around good fun.

Saturday morning starts with breakfast followed by the annual meeting, and as mentioned before, a short hike could be taken before lunch on the trail to the park. After lunch, longer hikes on the BT at Tappan will take place along with a pontoon boat ride of Tappan Lake for those of you who do not want to hike, fishing, boating, and of course the bike ride on the Conotton Valley Trail at Bowerston.

This year’s Saturday night program features Mr. Paul Stutzman - hiker, cyclist, and author of the book “Hiking Through”. This is a journal by Mr. Stutzman written after t his wife of 32 years died of breast cancer. He turned his grief into this adventure so as to walk and talk with God. His book contains messages for all of us. He has become a renowned speaker about his Faith journey on the Appalachian Trail.

As usual, we will have the traditional silent auction, so bring your items to put up for bid. The auction starts Friday and ends before the Saturday evening program with the results being given out before the awards program. This is a great way; to get gear, etc. Annual awards will also be presented that evening.

Sunday will consist of breakfast and break up. Those of you that want to stay and do more hiking on the BT in the area, or fish, or boat may do so.

Again THIS YEAR is the PHOTO CONTEST. Please see the Annual Meeting Photo Contest page for more details.

The Annual Meeting fee structure this year will be a flat rate of $45.00 per person. This includes all the meals from Friday night to Sunday morning, housing at the barn, speakers, snacks. Deadline for registration will be May 10.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:00:03 AM by Buckeye » Logged
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »

The fee structure this year will be a flat rate of $50.00 per person with a half rate for children 10 years and under. This includes all the meals from Friday night to Sunday morning, housing, speakers, snacks. Deadline for registration will be May 31st.

The Annual Meeting fee structure this year will be a flat rate of $45.00 per person. This includes all the meals from Friday night to Sunday morning, housing at the barn, speakers, snacks. Deadline for registration will be May 10.

Perhaps one of these is incorrect? Perhaps there is a $5 discount of registering by May 10th?

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Buckeye
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »

I have no idea, I just took the info from the BTA website.  However, I think it is $45.00 because the PayPal link asks for that amount.

Buckeye
Ray
Day Hiker

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:56:58 AM »

First time to join a forum. Just wanted to let everyone know that we here in Harrison County are working hard to get the trails in shape and do all possible to make your visits enjoyable in 2011.If you have any questions about the area, just ask me through the Forum or Google the Cadiz/Harrison County Visitors Center.The Visitor Center web-site will tell you lots ( Buckeye Trail is mentioned ) and if that does not work, E-mail Marcia the Director.Hope to meet several of you at the barn, it will be my first time there.We have great B&B's in the area and don't forget to go to the General Store in Deersville for ice cream when here.
Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:14:56 AM »

Hey Ray, welcome!

Do the B&Bs have websites?  I want to make reservations but would like to see what the places look like first.

Thanks!
Buckeye
Ray
Day Hiker

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »

Buckeye - Possum Lodge is about 5 miles out of Deersville and the BT runs right past their front door.It's pretty large, maybe you are looking for something smaller. www.possumlodgecabins.com. There is a great new B & B in Cadiz, a little farther from the barn, it's The Lincoln Inn, they have a site I'm sure you can Google.The Deersville area has several and I believe most are listed with the Cadiz/Harrison County Visitors Center - Check with Marcia the Exc. Director at www.visitharrisoncounty.org. and tell her Ray sent you. Our main goal right now is tying our hiking and biking trails with the B & B 's and they are working with us to promote the BT.Hope I have been of some help. Ray
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:14:46 PM »

Glad to hear from Harrison county.  My ancestor Othonile Thompson was a settler there in the early 1800's before heading to southern Ohio.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Ray
Day Hiker

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:41:12 AM »

We have a log cabin in our local park that is one of the earliest schools in Harrison County, came from the Thompson farm near town, may be an ancestor. Harrison County has a very depressed economy at this time,most industry is gone.Now what we have to offer is;Fishing,Camping,Boating,Biking and Hiking.We need the Buckeye Trail and the people that hike here! The WELCOME MAT IS OUT!
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »

I'll have to check that out.  I made a short pilgramage  up there a few years ago to look into the ancestry.  I didn't have much luck finding anything about my ancestors in that area.  Although one Thompson maintained a lumber business up there for a long time into the last century.  I know they mingled with the Wyant family and a group of them moved to Jackson county sometime around the civil war.

Circuit Hike Completed.
NeXt SteP72
Day Hiker

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 09:42:49 PM »

My (Williamsburg Hike Plans Have Changed). I and a friend planned on hiking East Fork State Park on the 19th -22nd. But I have been advised that the water level is 43.5  above flood stage. So we will hike Wed the 18th 9.8 miles from Grant Lake To the edge of East Fork and stop. So with that being said We have decided to drive up Friday for the annual event.  Who do I need to contact for reservations? Thank You Next Step 72////
NeXt SteP72
Day Hiker

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 09:50:50 PM »

I also understand that I have missed the deadline! But I would love to attend this EVENT!!!!! thanx again next step 72!!!!
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:01:27 AM »

I would not be too concerned about the deadline being missed.  Just go ahead and register on line or send an email to annualmtg@buckeyetrail.org to let Ruth know you will be there and pay at the door.  The deadline is mostly for meal planning.  They don't want 50 people saying on May 19th that they are coming!

Speaking of...I guess I should get registered too!
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »

Buckeye - Possum Lodge is about 5 miles out of Deersville and the BT runs right past their front door.

I'm definitely going to have to stay there sometime since I'm member 46943 of the International Possum Brotherhood.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Ray
Day Hiker

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 09:30:25 AM »

Just happened to hike past the Possum Lodge yesterday with the MAC group.The owners were there and we got the grand tour.Got some nice photos,if I knew how,I'd post one so you could see.I'll be at the Annual Meeting and will make sure to have a brochure for you.The guys I hiked with yesterday really liked what they saw there.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »

I just now read about the BTA annual meeting. I wish I would have known about it earlier, then I could have put some money aside. The 50 reg fee (and not to mention the gas cost from the Casear Creek area) are hurdles I cant clear...But I hope you that are going have fun. It sounds awesome.

And to NeXt SteP72 who was going to hike East Fork...43.5 feet above flood stage doesn't sound accurate...I can't say for sure though, but Caesar Creek (which is also part of the Little Miami River system) is no where close to that...water is up, no doubt, but 43.5 feet is probably an extreme overstatement.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: