Trail Talk
October 17, 2017, 09:26:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hikers Living in Central OH  (Read 6015 times)
redleg08
Day Hiker

« on: November 30, 2011, 05:55:42 AM »

My name is Ben and i live in Central OH. Im looking for hikers that want to hike the New Straitsville section. I'm new to hiking but i am very excited to hike and learn. Cant do anything till September of 2012. The few hikes ive been on ive gone alone which is no good so anyone who would like to accompany me more than welcome.
lynnabird
Day Hiker

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »

Hey Ben,  OK, so I don't look like Brad Pitt....I didn't know what an Avatar was, so there ya go.
I'm looking for someone to section hike with...I'm an AT section hiker, live in Columbus, and need someone else to help read those freakin maps and drive to trail heads, so I'm not stuck riding my bike or slack packing.  Sept. will probably be OK, only late in the month my sister and I will probably be back in Va. on the AT.  I don't yap alot if you were concerned.  Later, Lynn A. Bird
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »

I'm in Franklin county and so is poppy.  We had quite a circuit hike going last year where we covered several hundred miles.  I have about 400 miles left, all on the east side of the state.

I find winter to be the best time to go out other than shorter days and really need another hiker with car to maximize the miles.

I sometimes spend time in Vinton county where my gggrandfather is buried about 100 feet from the trail.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Big Blue
Day Hiker

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »

My name is Greg and I just joined the BT Association.  I live in Worthington.  About a year ago I started walking the Olentangy Trail/Bikepath and started thinking that I might enjoy hiking.  I was introduced to the BT in May by my mother who lives near the St. Mary's section.  My first time on the trail was a group 5K walk by 40 Acre pond.  I immediately fell in love with the idea of hiking the BT.  

On Friday, June 29th, I did my first day hike.  I started in Delphos and hiked south, CCW to 40 Acre pond.  Not the smartest of days to be on the trail, but this is what my schedule allowed.  It was pushing 100 degrees and was also the day of the big storm.  I was out of water by 11am.  Thank goodness for the town of Spencerville.  I was able to get a solid lunch and load up on water.  I was admiring the aqueduct north of St. Mary's when the storm hitat about 4pm.  I bunkered down under a bridge over Hwy 66 until the storm passed.   The trail was rough with many downed trees after the storm, however, I was most grateful that the temperature had dropped about 30 degrees.  

Currently planning my first 2 day hike on Sept. 7th and 8th.  I will be starting at the southern end of the St. Mary's section and head north, CW.  I plan to finish Saturday afternoon at 40 Acre pond, thus completing my first section of the BT.  

I go by Big Blue when on the trail.  I'm 6'2" and with my pack am well over 300lbs.  You can't miss me.  I look forward to meeting you on the trail.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:18:24 AM by Big Blue » Logged
Landeck lad
Overnighter

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »

WOW  Shocked Big Blue,
from your description I am going to assume that you were at Six Mile Spillway when that wind storm hit on June 29. that area from Six-Mile Spillway to Bloody Bridge was the hardest hit segment of the MEST(Miami Erie State Trail). You most likely heard the trees cracking and falling in that area. I deemed that segment not passable when I scouted it on July 4th.

I might be able to meet up with you either one of those days.
Saturday morning (Sept. Cool I will be in Delphos to help clean-up for their Canal Days festival the following weekend, hmmm... I wonder if a repeat performance will occur as there was a clean-up June 23 in Delphos in preparation for their July 4th event. they had to cancel some events due to no power and fallen trees.

are you planning to ovenight at Loramie State Park?
or are you going to make a Big first day of it and get to the new (almost complete) shelter just north of New Bremen?
Big Blue
Day Hiker

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:04:30 AM »

Landeck lad,

Yes, I was at Six-Mile Spillway.  Had a great view of the overflow from under the Hwy 66 bridge.  All I heard was the howling wind.  I had no idea how bad it was until the storm passed and I got back on the trail.  There were several blow downs.  One very memorable, where I really had to think about how to get around.  I have a healthy respect for the trail maintainers now.  Clean up must have been a major undertaking.  Attached pic is blurry, but you can see the sky turning dark and where I took cover. 

I plan on staying at Ft. Loramie State Park.  I like the idea of staying in one of the new shelters, however, the park is a near midpoint for the miles I have planned.  

I certainly don't plan on a repeat performance of the storm.  I realize I was very fortunate to be near the highway bridge when it hit.  If I would have been on the trail you probably would have found me under one of the blow downs.  

I would certainly enjoy the company on the trail.    
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:56:12 AM by Big Blue » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: