Trail Talk
September 20, 2017, 02:17:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tar Hollow  (Read 2015 times)
kathyonbt
Section Hiker

« on: November 14, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »

Hello, all,
  Went hiking to finish SciotoTrail this past weekend.  The weather was gorgeous (although frost on the car Friday morn).
  Pulled into the park to find pickups and men in camo - it's bow season.  A few of the guys stopped me here and there and asked if I had seen any deer (a total of 3 over the two days).

The piece from pt 5 to Clark Hollow Rd was in good shape, a little briar thicket but good paint and easy to follow
  The piece from pt 5 west towards Poe Run/Piney Creek was a bit of a pain.  Briar thickets/downed trees - yes, I did see the blue ribbons on the trees and debated on whether it was a way around the bad spot (as I had seen this done between pts 15 and 16 on the other side of the river) - but, I soldiered on, following the new paint.  It was ugly, but passable.
  The next day did the firetower to the Maintenance area (pts 4 to 2, and from Clark Hollow back to the firetower).  A couple of good briar thickets again (especially on the way off the ridge to the Maintenance shed) but generally easy to follow with a lot of new paint.  Every time I got a little nervous I'd find another blue blaze.  However, the middle section, about 2.5 miles in from the firetower, the fresh paint disappeared.  The trail was pretty obvious but I wasn't happy until I found some old paint on the trees.

I see the area's up for maintenance next year.  Except for my sideways walk with Pioneer Spirit in Sept it's been pretty good.  Keep up the good work, this section was quite enjoyable.  Thanks.

Also, got one last tick Saturday for the year.

Kathy On BT 
"Not all who wander are lost."
Finished 8/30/2013 and going around again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: