Trail Talk
December 18, 2017, 12:32:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Hiking Question  (Read 6196 times)
Buckeye
« on: October 20, 2011, 10:26:07 AM »

Question of the quarter (must be a BTA member, not just a forum member, and please leave your first name, last initial, and where you are located):  "Where's your favorite Buckeye Trail winter hike?" Deadline for replies is October 27th!
shigadeyo
Day Hiker

I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:37:01 AM »

I like portion through Fort Hill in the Winter.
- Craig V. in Southwest Ohio

"If one did not have a map, one would get lost, which defeats the purpose of blazing.  A hiker should be able to follow the BT without a map." - Buckeye
FTBB
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »

Connie and I liked to walk along the towpath of the miami and wabash erie trails near Napolean.  The trail is off-road and flat.  One caution, avoid deer season up there.  The nimrods are out in force.

Bob and Connie Pond
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 03:29:16 PM »

The Hocking Hills Winter Hike - next one is Jan 21, 2012.
Bob G in "Amish Country"

Backpacking light, feels so right.
ToddSmith
Day Hiker

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:23:09 AM »

The Hocking Hills Winter Hike - next one is Jan 21, 2012.
Bob G in "Amish Country"

I am under the impression that the Winter Hike is not going on this year.  I was told that the new GM of the park is not letting us get in there at all and clean up the trail and or get it reopened.   There was a massive flood middle of June and a few bridges got damaged along with a big portion of the trail through the Gatewood,  I know the Winter Hike does not follow the Gatewood to Cedar Falls but, I was told that the Winter Hike was off

I would have to say my favorite Hike in the Winter is the Old Mans cave section too, but perferably not during the Winter Hike,  I think its a great Idea and its the largest Public Hike in the entire state all year but I would much rather sit inside Ash Cave by myself,  I havnt been able to catch it fully Iced over yet but It has been pretty close

Todd S  Live in Cleveland,  From Lancaster
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »

The Hocking Hills Winter Hike has not been cancelled. Check here the calendar of events here:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/743/default.aspx

The event is too big and brings in too much money to be cancelled.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Andrew
Day Hiker

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »

The northern part of Burr Oak State Park, solitude, nothing but hills, trees, rocks, and streams and the backwaters of Burr Oak Lake/ the East Branch of Sunday Creek.  Beaver lodges, bald eagles and the BT... but don't tell anybody ; ).
wolfsister
Day Hiker

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »

I second Burr Oak for winter hiking and outback camping.

Make tracks!
Buckeye
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 08:13:38 AM »

I second Burr Oak for winter hiking and outback camping.

Need your name and where you reside in order to add you to the list that will appear in the Trailblazer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: