Trail Talk
December 18, 2017, 12:27:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sheltowee Trace NRT  (Read 4654 times)
traildust
Day Hiker

« on: October 09, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »

Wanted to let folks know that the Sheltowee Trace Association has developed a trail crew, the Ridge Runner Trail Crew, that maintains the Trace from the Northern Terminus to Red River Gorge.  They work one day a month and have spent considerable time and energy on the northern 13 miles above I-64 bridge.  There might be a few trees on the ground and maybe a few stretches of brush but it is a world of difference from a year ago or three years ago. 

"traildust"
Buckeye
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »

Thanks for the update, Traildust.  Should calm some fears (especially mine) as I had heard this section was not in great shape!

Planning a trip on the ST for next year!

Buckeye
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:02:16 AM »

I hiked that section before the scouts and I hiked Va AT in 09.  We followed our tour guide, got lost, and finally found our way out 1/4 mile and 8 hours from where we were dropped off.  Loved the hike, never real sure what trail we followed, though.  I was rather new to the blazes at that time and relied on the other troop leaders.

I have thought about hiking the trail again.  I was offered a job as a park ranger for the area in 09, I may look into it again when I get back next year.  I need to get a little more experience in trail maintenance, though.

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:23:07 AM »

I have Scott Ward's guidebook, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
http://www.thru-hiker.us/
The Thru-Hikers Manual for the Sheltowee Trace "Kentucky's Long Trail"
A detailed guidebook for the 280 mile wilderness trail in the Daniel Boone National Forest.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 07:52:08 PM »

I have Scott Ward's guidebook, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
http://www.thru-hiker.us/
The Thru-Hikers Manual for the Sheltowee Trace "Kentucky's Long Trail"
A detailed guidebook for the 280 mile wilderness trail in the Daniel Boone National Forest.

Great book, and with the OutrageGIS map for the southern half, the ST should become a far more accessible (i.e. - known) trail.

Buckeye
traildust
Day Hiker

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 07:42:34 PM »

Scot is great.  The STA also sells the guidebook with one day turn around.  Proceeds help the work of the STA.  www.sheltoweetrace.org visit the trading post page.  We also sell the south map set.

Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »

Read a post on the white blaze site saying they were doing a circuit hike of the entire trail this year.  Hike once a month and finish by year end.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 08:55:48 AM »

Read a post on the white blaze site saying they were doing a circuit hike of the entire trail this year.  Hike once a month and finish by year end.

Indeed they are, and this would be a great way to complete the ST, but alas I have so many other things going on I can't do this twelve step plan.   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: