Trail Talk
November 26, 2014, 08:29:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TRAIL TALK, the Buckeye Trail Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Williamsburg section  (Read 3507 times)
paveltul
Overnighter

« on: October 05, 2011, 09:16:02 PM »

I have attempted to hike this section from Milford to East fork Visitor center recently, and found out that there are quite a few blazes missing. I did not see a single blaze between points 25 and 20. 8 miles that is! Thank God I had ADT directions with me, which helped me a lot to navigate through this sector. In general I find American Discovery Trail directions are more useful, especially the GPS coordinates for each turn. I came upon some blazes at point 25, but they soon disappeared again and the trail was impossible to follow due to several horse trails branching of in different directions. As the result, I never found "a wing dam with excellent views". looks like someone needs to get out there and paint some blazes. I don't mind to volunteer my self, provided someone will loan me a blaze template and some paint.
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:35 PM »

P.S. if you hike in the morning, just after the rush hour Round Bottom road is not that bad  Smiley
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »

If you hiked along the park road over the main dam at East Fork, then you could not miss the wing dam, as you cross it along the same road shortly after passing the visitor center.  There are no blazes along this road because the Army Corps of Engineers asked that we not blaze along it.  Last time I was there, though, turn-offs at both ends were marked.  As for blazing on the trail beyond the park road, I can't comment. However, the trail is blazed through Batavia.  I drive through there 2-3 times per week, and at a minimum, the turn blazes at Elk Lick and Main Street are present.  They could, however, use some touching up and it looks like the sign posts near point 23 that held blazes have been replaced, so new blazes are needed at that turn.

As for Round Bottom Rd, I find that 2:30 a.m. is probably the best time to hike it!
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »

I find American Discovery Trail directions are more useful, especially the GPS coordinates for each turn.

+1 - Not only can the PDF trail guides be downloaded instantly as needed, but GPX files are also available for only $2 extra per state.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »

If you hiked along the park road over the main dam at East Fork, then you could not miss the wing dam, as you cross it along the same road shortly after passing the visitor center.

I was hiking in the opposite direction, Visitor center being my finishing point. I never made it to the park road, because I took a wrong turn on one of the horse trails on the short off road segment.

My point is,I really want to get out there and paint some blazes, but I need someone who knows where we are allowed to blaze and where we are not, to help me out.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:07:26 AM »

Ah.  Yes, the turn off can be tricky and will be missed if blazing is not up to date.  Not sure who has that section but I'm sure help is always welcome.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »

With Pavel's help this past weekend, blazes from the loop at the end of Slade Rd through Batavia to Ross Rd have all been touched up/replaced.  If you have a BTA map, you will have to work very hard at getting lost now.

Another area improved because someone saw a problem and willingly stepped forward to help fix it!  Thanks, Pavel!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: