Trail Talk
December 17, 2017, 11:13:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what tent would you recomend?  (Read 6024 times)
paveltul
Overnighter

« on: September 22, 2011, 08:49:11 AM »

I am looking for a decent one person tent. Any suggestions?
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »

What is your price range?

Is having a free standing tent a requirement for you?

Single wall or double wall tent?

Front entry or side entry?

3 season tent or 4 season tent?

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
atwalker
Overnighter

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »

Once you answer Captain Blue's questions, it will narrow down the choice options somewhat and then more people may have some recommendations.   

Personally, I have used several tents but now have gone to a tarp and love.  However, everyone is different and what works for one may not be good for another.   

Good luck and keep those questions in mind when searching for that shelter. 

Good luck and stay dry.   Cool

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end. -- Ursula K. LeGuin
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »

wow. lots of questions here. Well, here are the answers.
1) price the cheaper the better
2) I have no idea what the difference between free and non free standing tent is
3)same as above, well I assume double walls are warmer?
4)entry side does not really matter to me, well it does not matter yet. I'm sure once I start backpacking more often I will have a preference.
5) 4 season tent would be the choice for me.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »

Well, based on your answers here is my recommendation ...

* Buy your first tent at a garage sale or used gear sale. Don't spend too much.

* Carry it and use it on backpacking trips.

* See what tents others are using. Research tents and tent types.

You will be in a much better position to know what you want.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
atwalker
Overnighter

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 07:44:26 PM »

I would second everything that Captain Blue stated. 

I would add that you may be able to borrow a tent to tryout on a trip or two.   I would suggest looking at garage sales, and even maybe Craigs List and Ebay to find something. 

I have used Campmor.com for online purchases and they have a lot of special sales each week.  I have had all good products and service from them in the past.

Do a lot of research online about each tent and the specifications.   If you want to see what other are using . Try here http://www.trailjournals.com/journals.cfm and check the hikers gear lists.

However, keep in mind that what others use may not be what would be best for you and your likes. 

Good luck and happy hunting. 

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end. -- Ursula K. LeGuin
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »

I use the MSR Hubba.  Small in size, not quite free standing as it takes a stake to hold the door and side vestibule open.  It is just a bug screen with a fly over the top.  I used it without the fly when set up inside a shelter house.

It is a side entry which is a must for me.  Just sit up, turn and you are out.   No dragging the outside in with you when crawling into an end opening.

Got little loops inside where you can hang a micro light or
glasses.

I wish the vestibule was bigger sometimes.  The pack will fit under but you need a cover around the bottom.  Boots fit next to the pack with enough room to get out.  

For more room look at the two man double entry Hubba Hubba.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:11:31 PM by Pioneer Spirit » Logged

Circuit Hike Completed.
Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:14:15 AM »

I am a fan of the Henry Shire Tarptents.  They are tents, just single-walled.  Super light, my Rainbow, including poles and a Tyvek groundsheet, is less than three pounds.  One can buy an additional internal liner that will give the tent a double wall feel.  It can function as a free standing tent by using trekking poles.  Free standing will be a feature you would want if camping in very rocky areas, otherwise not a requirement.  I've used my Rainbow, and before that a Cloudburst, at Shawnee, Big South Fork, Vesuvius, and on the AT, and have not had to use the freestanding option.  It is a three season tent, with a side door entry.  I have plenty of room for me and my pack inside, and you know I am a girthy guy!

Unless you plan on camping in very cold weather, go with a three season.  You can always get warm with a good sleeping bag and extra clothes.

You can always go cheap via garage sales as others have suggested, but whatever you do, go light.  Anything over three pounds for a one person tent is probably too heavy.

Buckeye
shigadeyo
Day Hiker

I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »

There are also several used gear sites and mailing lists out there.  Here are some to try:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:01:05 AM by shigadeyo » Logged

"If one did not have a map, one would get lost, which defeats the purpose of blazing.  A hiker should be able to follow the BT without a map." - Buckeye
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: