Trail Talk
March 23, 2018, 10:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Maps  (Read 3157 times)
The Token Canoe Guy
Day Hiker

« on: August 31, 2011, 09:06:45 PM »

I have covered over 100 miles on the Buckeye trail in several areas of the state.  While I certainly enjoy the trail, the maps without doubt have something to be desired.  The format of the maps could stand to be updated.  They are like something out of the 80's, and rather disappointing.  What are plans for the future?  Will GPS routes be available for downloading (which is probably already available elsewhere)?
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:38:44 PM »

Funny you should ask (since I am on the cartography team)....

We are currently in the process of converting all of our maps from an antiquated printing method (paste ups and offset) to digitally produced and laser printed at our main office.  We are using ESRI's ArcGIS product (thanks to a grant from them) to produce the maps.  Currently 13 of the 26 section maps have been converted.

That said, the new maps are not too much different from the old ones.  You will notice some additional color, as we have gone from having 2 colors available to 2 billion colors.  But the general look and feel is the same.  This is intentional.  For the conversion phase, the primary goal was to accumulate the GPS data, get the necessary GIS layers, and get a map out.  We decided to keep the look and feel the same for now so as not to get bogged down in design decisions.

However, once all 26 maps have been converted (sometime next year), then all bets are off.  I have already discussed with fellow cartography team members ideas for drastic changes to the maps, and posted a thread some months ago soliciting ideas from TrailTalk members.  We don't have a new design yet, but I think I can safely say they will look quite different from the maps of today.
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:26:48 PM »

Personally, I love the new ArcGIS maps on the main Web Site. Those are perfect and super accurate.
Landeck lad

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:38:48 PM »

I may have to look at those again, the last time I looked at the Delphos section it had you swimming in the Miami & Erie Canal a few places where you should be on the towpath, then again, that may not be a bad idea in about four months.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: