Trail Talk
August 17, 2017, 05:34:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tea candle cooking.  (Read 10868 times)
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« on: August 28, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »

Tried heating water in my Heinekin pot with a tea candle.  It failed.

Any one use a tea candle setup?  I know folks use them on the trail so what is the key?

Circuit Hike Completed.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »

Interesting. I have never heard of this. I did a search on Google. I guess it takes about an hour to boil water using tea candles and is mainly used for emergency situations. It does not seem practical to me.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 12:16:18 AM »

Someone makes alcohol stoves out of the little aluminum candle cups .

Circuit Hike Completed.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »

Might be what you're thinking of - http://trailquest.net/TQaltgear.html#Tea

Backpacking light, feels so right.
atwalker
Overnighter

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:33:57 PM »

First I have heard of the candle stove.  I would assume it would take a very long time and a large candle to cause the water to boil, if it ever did.   I personally use only a homemade alcohol stove and burn the automotive additive "Heet" that comes in yellow bottle.    Works wonderful and very lightweight.   

To each his own and what works for them is the best.  So if the candle will work for someone and they are happy with it, that is great.   

Ed

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end. -- Ursula K. LeGuin
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 09:22:18 AM »

I heard someone say the used tea candles but it must have meant converted to alcohol because a single candle is not enough.  The cheese dip can heinekin base can hold three so I will give that a try.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Mark
Day Hiker

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »

I personally use only a homemade alcohol stove and burn the automotive additive "Heet" that comes in yellow bottle.    Works wonderful and very lightweight.   

To each his own and what works for them is the best.  So if the candle will work for someone and they are happy with it, that is great.   

Ed

How well does that work and how much fuel do you use? I have recently made a couple of these just to try out bit haven't taken any into the field yet. In fact i just made my first one yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: