Trail Talk
October 19, 2017, 12:22:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Man's Cave section help  (Read 3092 times)
PilotBMP
Day Hiker

« on: August 15, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »

I plan on backpacking 17 - 22 (CW) this Friday through Sunday morning.  I need help with good camping spots along the way.  I have  anew hiker with me so I would like to keep the mileage between 5-7 miles per day.  Also, if I camp in the old man's cave area where can I obtain a camping permit?  Thanks again!

Ben
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »

The Old Mans Cave section map pretty much answers your camping questions. You can camp in the Old Mans Cave State Park campground and Top Of The Caves campground on Chapel Ridge Road. There is no permit available to allow you to legally camp in a disbursed manner. Churches, chapels and cemeteries can be goood places to camp too.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
PilotBMP
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »

So if I read you correctly...you are saying camp in a discreet spot and no fires. 
Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »

While we do not encourage stealth camping, you might have to do that very thing in this section as the official places to camp will not give you enough options at five to seven miles per day.

Just my two cents!
Buckeye
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »

The "Official" position of the Buckeye Trail Association has always been that camping should only be done in designated campsites with the approval of whoever the land owner or manager is.  "Officially", stealth camping is discouraged.

So if you ask any board member in their "Official" capacity as representative of the Buckeye Trail Association, they should tell you that "Official" position.

Unofficial responses may vary from that "Official" position.

If you get my drift.....

Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: