Trail Talk
May 24, 2017, 09:33:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four Season or Fair Weather?  (Read 6299 times)
Buckeye
« on: August 09, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »

Please take a moment and vote, and then comment as to why you like hiking year 'round or prefer nice days.  Need your name, where you are located, and you reasons you prefer one over the other.  Comments will be published in a future issue of The Trailblazer.

BTA members only on this poll.

Thanks!
Buckeye
Buckeye
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:05:08 PM »

Love the change of seasons that Ohio offers.  Hiking in a rainstorm or cold blustery winter days makes one appreciate our varying weather.
shigadeyo
Day Hiker

I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »

I'm definitely a 4-season hiker. Any day spent outside - regardless of rain, snow, or the dogs days of Summer - is better than sitting inside behind a desk!

"If one did not have a map, one would get lost, which defeats the purpose of blazing.  A hiker should be able to follow the BT without a map." - Buckeye
Garry Dill
Day Hiker

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 02:10:20 PM »

I marked four seasons because my favorite (when I was still hiking) was winter. No bugs, no mud, no heat, and i don't sleep in tents.
FTBB
Day Hiker

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:15:07 PM »

Connie and I enjoyed all the seasons while hiking the BT.  Winter, even with snow and ice. Summer with its heat and insects was probably our least favorite time to hike.  Spring was a favorite time to see the migrating birds and some emerging insects.  Fall was also good.
rocket
Day Hiker

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »

Four season hiker, I enjoy the change in seasons. Fall and winter hiking, no bugs, heat or humidity.

Dale Wical
"Rocket"
St. Mary's Section

Sections Completed:St. Mary's,Troy,Caesar Creek,Loveland,Delphos,Road Fork,Defiance,
Burton,Pemberville,Belle Valley
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »

After adulthood I tended to hibernate in the winter but I found I prefer winter hiking over the buggy summer months.  All seasons have their plusses and minuses pros and cons.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 04:47:07 PM »

Four season hiker, I enjoy the change in seasons. Fall and winter hiking, no bugs, heat or humidity.

+1
 .. Massillon section
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:49:27 PM by Couscous » Logged

Backpacking light, feels so right.
patioh
BTA Board
Day Hiker

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »

I prefer winter over summer and autumn over spring, but I will hike them all.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »

I am a One-Season-Hiker but I keep in condition for that season in the Sring, Summer, and Fall.

"The world belongs to the enthusiast who keeps cool"  cookie from chinese dinner I just ate.

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »

My name is Pavel, and I just got into serious hiking recently, so I have not been an all season hiker yet just because I have not been hiking for that long. However, I defiantly plan on becoming one,due to the fact that my goal is to hike every trail possible in the entire world and that means I cannot afford any breaks.
cuyahogapat
Day Hiker

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »

Hi.  This is CuyahogaPat.

I hike just about every weekend.  The only things stopping me is a blizzard or lightning.

There are two main reasons I hike in every season in Ohio.  First is for the pure challenge.  The challenges are very different when it is
-2 degrees F with snow and ice to walk on, versus 92 degrees F and everything is dry.  The streams are running hard and sometimes not even passable in winter and spring.  And, hiking, and maintaining a good pace in 14 miles of mud is a whole experience in and of itself.

The second reason are the views are very different.  I favor winter hiking because I can see all around me.  I can see ridge after ridge after ridge.  The streams are all visible.  Plus the ground is covered in snow.  But, there is nothing more perfect than seeing all the hills and ridges covered in snow, while standing near a hard running stream.  Plus the deer and coyotes are more visible in the winter.   
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »

I am an all season hiker! There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate gear. Mother Nauture is best observed year round. Live to Hike ... Hike to Live.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
kathyonbt
Section Hiker

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »

Gotta do it all year round!

Spring for the wildflowers and young critters.
Summer for the heat and the bugs - although butterflies are preferred.  Rain showers are best in summer.
Fall for the colors and the cooler weather.
Winter because you can see much more and the crunch of snow.
 Roll Eyes

Kathy On BT 
"Not all who wander are lost."
Finished 8/30/2013 and going around again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: