Trail Talk
May 22, 2017, 01:20:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Sad News  (Read 5941 times)
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« on: August 08, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »

Most of you have probably heard about the shooting near Akron on Sunday morning.

Two of the victims of that shooting were Russ Johnson and his lovely wife Gudrun.  Russ has been an active BTA member for years and the driving force in remodeling the BTA Barn into a top notch meeting center.  He was also a good friend to every one he met.

Please keep the rest of his family in your thoughts and prayers.
FTBB
Day Hiker

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:38:20 AM »

Thanks for posting this sad news.  Russ was a good friend to me and we will all miss his keen sense of humor and his sense of duty to the BTA, of which he was such a critical part.

The BTA has lost an important contributor to the BTA, by this senseless act. 
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »

Were they are the barn during the meeting awhile back?   Wondering if I met them.

Circuit Hike Completed.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »

Russ was at the annual meeting.  He was in charge of the Barn Committee and oversaw all of the work that has been done on the barn over the past several years, doing a lot of it himself.
Ray
Day Hiker

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:16:20 AM »

What a shock and so senseless! I met Russ only this May as we backpacked a couple days in the Bowerston Section.Came to like him right away.Russ always said what he thought and always kept the conversation going with a joke or funny comment.I could tell he really enjoyed life.He told me he had been orphaned at a very early age.He was also a very Patriotic Veteran and had a small American Flag sticking out of his backpack at all times, he told me it always went where he went.What a loss to all of us that knew him, even if just for a short time.To me, he is a part of the Buckeye Trail and each time I hike from today on, Russ will be with me.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »

This news comes as quick a shock to me. I met Russ at the Barn in May during the annual meeting. He was an energetic and friendly person. I had heard about Russ and his good work at the Barn long before I arrived there. So sad.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:21:47 PM »

I also met Russ at the Barn before the annual meeting this year.  We hiked a day in the Bowerston Section and had dinner at the barn every evening.  One of the greatest men I have met.  He loved his grandaughter and talked continuously about her BMX events.  I will miss him as I walk through this year but will remember him always.

Does anyone have a contact for his family.  I would love to carry his flag around the state for him.  We folded the American Flag together each day at the Barn.

Poppie

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: