Trail Talk
August 19, 2017, 08:50:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TRAIL TALK, the Buckeye Trail Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help create a new website!  (Read 4383 times)
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« on: August 07, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »

The current BT website is over 12 years old.  Unchanged except for a few cosmetic updates, it is dated in its look and functionality.  We all know that!

What I would like to hear (from anyone willing to offer) is what would you like to see from the website?

This is a wide open question.  You can concentrate on content, layout, functionality, features.  Whatever you want.

As with my "Map Dreams" post a few months ago, I can't promise every idea will be used, but the variety of ideas will provide those of is charged with updating the site with some guidance.  You may think of some great feature that we overlooked!

Be brutally honest, but civil!

Have at it, and the sky is the limit (or Proxima Centauri, whichever you hit first).
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »

Perhaps before starting on a new project, the spam postings on the wiki could be removed, non-BTA users could be deleted, and the whole account creation/page editing process could be locked down?
http://buckeyetrail.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30&limit=100
I know .. nag, nag, nag.  Grin
~
What's the main purpose of the website?
- Attract new members? How does the website explain the benefits of becoming a member?
-- Having PDFs that members could download like ALDHA's Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikerís Companion w/b nice.
- Get more people using the trail? Pictures? Videos? Stories?
- Provide information to current members? Upcoming events? Parking - water - camping options?
~
Social networking is the big push now. More and more websites are being created separately because the main site does not allow the functionality or content uploading that is desired. This forum site, the wiki site, Captain Blue's site, Poppie's site, Friends of the Buckeye Trail site, and probably many more. Does the site want to incorporate more of the features into a single site and allow users to create trail journals - meetup notices - post pictures - without creating separate websites?
~
A growing percentage of hikers are carrying smart phones to access content "anywhere". Will the new website allow mobile friendly access or will the forum move to something like https://www.vbulletin.com/ which supports Tapatalk for easy mobile access.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:59:23 AM »

I second the motion about smart phones.   Some sites do not translate well to touch screens.

This phone now has Google earth and can handle. .kml files so a nice Bt map would be nice.

On another note, my rural electric company puts out a magazine monthly.   Has anyone ever contributed a story to them?  It is a state wide magazine.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »

Geek, you have all my suggestions.  Just look at the ATC site.  Easy to use, everything is held within a handful of main categories. 

Buckeye
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:53:03 AM »

I mentioned it on the facebook group before; I can't remember if I did it on this forum, but the biggest wish for me is that the website would have an interactive map of the trail. Otherwise the site is fine as it is in my opinion.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 06:46:55 AM »

Buckeye: I do indeed have your ideas, and with NCTA over, they were already front and center on my desk here!
Buckeye
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:16:20 AM »

Buckeye: I do indeed have your ideas, and with NCTA over, they were already front and center on my desk here!

Huzzah!   Grin
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:14:29 AM »

.....now if only I could find them under all the OTHER stuff that is piled front and center on my desk!  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: