Trail Talk
December 18, 2017, 04:17:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MISLEADING BLAZES?!  (Read 6587 times)
paveltul
Overnighter

« on: July 17, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »

I attempted to hike Troy section from Deeds park (point 5) to Taylorsiville metropark (point 11) in Dayton yesterday. Shortly after point 6, I missed the turn where Great Miami Bike trail separates from Still Water Bike trail and kept walking on the Still water trail. Near Wegerzyn Gardens I came upon some blue blazes and Buckeye Trail signs, which led me to believe that I was still on the trail when in fact I wasn't. As the result I ended up walking for 3 miles before I realized that I was not where I needed to be. So I had to walk 3 miles back... Angry. I was only able to make to point 8 because of that.
I know that it is totally my fault that I missed that turn, but what about those out of place blazes?
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »

Yes, this is misleading. Sorry about the confusion. Just this past week I was in contact with Five Rivers MetroParks about having the blue blazes removed along the Stillwater and Wegzeryn MetroPark as the BT no longer goes this way. The trail along the Stillwater River was a temporarily relocation while the Great Miami River Recreation Trail was under construction. The construction is now complete.

There is no turn blaze after the foot bridge in Island Park to instruct the hiker to continue along the Great Miami River bike trail. (This confused me on my thru hike.) Blazes are needed in this area.

On July 26 Brent from Five Rivers MetroParks and I are going to re-blaze and re-sign the Buckeye Trail in the Dayton area. The trail will be well marked from Eastwood MetroPark to Taylorsville MetroPark after our efforts. This should make navigation easier.

This is one of the reasons I volunteered to be the new section supervisor of  the Troy Section. It needs help.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:57:15 PM by Captain Blue » Logged

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »

All hikers should post the misleading blaze information before I get there.  6 miles!  I will have to skip lunch, if I do that.

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »

Here is another one for you Poppie. In the Caesar creek section in Caesar creek wilderness area on one of the unpaved access roads I think it was. I came to a fork in the road. Immediately, I saw a double blaze telling me to turn right, and then after I turned I saw another blaze confirming the new direction. However, after a little while this trail intersected several horse trails and blue blazes were nowhere to be found! I just picked a horse trail that did not look as bad as the others. I was very surprised when after about a mile I came upon the same intersection! Shocked I ended up doing a loop! This time I looked around more carefully. The double blase was still there, and the one behind it as well. But then I saw another blaze, much less visible, indicating that the trail actually goes straight. That turned out to be a correct route.  Buck Eye trail is full of adventures, just the way I like it! Grin
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »

Blazes remain on old section in Akron on bridge at route 93 by the lake where the restaurant used to be. (Youngs).  You continue on the bike path.  The place where you picked me up at Pizza hut.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »

Paveltul - We fixed the blazing problem in Dayton today. That turn you missed is now well marked. See this post: http://buckeyetrail.org/TrailTalk/index.php?topic=255.0

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »

Turn blaze on dam at lake loramie points in wrong direction.  Trail turns off road on the left below shallow dam.  Blaze turns across road giving the impression that you continue on road which we did..

Circuit Hike Completed.
rocket
Day Hiker

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »

I will try to get this fixed this weekend.

Sections Completed:St. Mary's,Troy,Caesar Creek,Loveland,Delphos,Road Fork,Defiance,
Burton,Pemberville,Belle Valley
rocket
Day Hiker

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »

I fixed blazes in this area. Hopefully this will resolve any confusion.

Sections Completed:St. Mary's,Troy,Caesar Creek,Loveland,Delphos,Road Fork,Defiance,
Burton,Pemberville,Belle Valley
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:51:38 AM »

I white blazed that small part of the section due to the blaze pointing down the road (the map description is good) and also one before Charloe which had not been mowed, the DR mower is in for repairs.  I also white blazed Defiance so I could hit the DQ and look for a thrift store.  I had followed the blue blazes in both of these areas in June. 

Rocket is doing a great job near Ft Loramie.  Section Supervisor in the making!!  I find that some supervisors will not answer their phones.  Others are a lot of help, John from Loveland hiked with me for a day+ and Andy from Troy gave me a bed and slack packed me for two+ days.  The Browns from Norwalk are waiting for me.

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 01:32:50 PM »

As I mentioned in another post.  Scioto trails has a spot where many old blazes were not covered after a major reroute probably around 2005.  We were yacking away and missed a turn from the horse trail and continued on for a long ways after seeing blue blazes that need covered a mile or more past the newer turn off.

Thanks to Rocket for the last repaint.  I hope to join the ranks of maintainers in the near future.  I have a lot of experience trying to maintain my rural acreage.   What doesn't try to grow up is trying to fall down.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:41:51 PM by Pioneer Spirit » Logged

Circuit Hike Completed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: