Trail Talk
June 25, 2017, 01:26:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BT in Dayton  (Read 5768 times)
paveltul
Overnighter

« on: July 03, 2011, 01:37:48 PM »

I would like hike the BT trough Dayton tomorrow and I plan to park at Huffman Prairie Flying Field Interpretive Center. Does anyone know how would I find the trail from there?
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »

I don't. I got lost leaving the Huffman Prairre Flying Field Interpretive Center and had to find my own way to Springfield Street. There are blue blazes on trees near the Wright Brothers Memorial but they disappear at the woods line. These blazes lead west. The map says to go east. If you return back to the bike path, like I did, you find it ends soon and you are in the middle of two busy roads. This is not a good way to go even though you will see a large NCT sticker "showing the way". One day this will be the BT but for now it is not. If you find the correct way please let me know.

Follow Springfield Street and Huberville past the motel and in front of the old house. Turn right at the road embankment, cross the RR tracks, and enter the Dayton Well Field area. Follow the road in the well field area, leave the road and head for the Mad River. Cross under Harshman Road along the river and it should be smooth going from there.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Pedologist
Overnighter

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »

I missed the trail from the Interpretive Center, too, even in leaf-off conditions. I tried to find it W or SW of the parking lot, by looking close to the fence around the Air Force base, at the top of the hill. I couldn't find any blazes until I reached the bottom of the hill. Months later, I took some granddaughters to see the view of the main runway and Huffman Dam from the overlook N of the Center. We walked west from the overlook, along the edge of the ridge and saw blue blazes at the edge of the woods, near the NW corner of the mowed area.

1,168 miles completed, including all sections in the main loop.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »

Do you have the new FEbruary 2011 map?

Pat Hayes told us we should have stayed on the new bike path through the area. but the 2011 map still gois along the fence.

BT goes N on paved walk past Wright Brothers Memorial
itself to overlook (470') with good views over Huffman Dam,
runways of Patterson Field and Huffman Prairie. BT turns W
across lawn towards woods at BTA Marker Post, descends
across intermittent stream and follows outside chain link
fence around Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (WPAFB).
At Springfield St a little S of RR overpass, BT becomes
confined to strip of rough grass between WPAFB fence and
Springfield St and soon enters Montgomery Cty from Greene
Cty. After 2200' of mistreatment, BT reaches entrance to Area
B (WPAFB). Here at stoplight, BT crosses to N side of street
and continues W on wider lawn.

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:31:35 PM »

Will someone check this out before August 22 and let me know the fasted, easiest route?

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »

The bike path is not complete yet in the area. Following it will only take you under two very busy roads and then it will end. You will be forced to retreat or dash through busy traffic to continue.

I will check this out before before the NCTA conference in Dayton in August.

I just got an email today saying I am the new section supervisor for the Troy Section.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:47:12 PM »

here is how I did it. I walked downhill to the entrance of the memorial, took a left on the bike path, went trough the tunnel, took another left, than took a right on the road that goes to the dam, than went straight on the unpaved road that goes along the river, this road deadens directly under the bridge of 444, but at this point I was only a few feet away from Springfield st. All I had to do is to climb over the railing.

Moderators, feel free to move this discussion into trail problems section Roll Eyes   
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »

Pavetul - How did you get over/under the railroad tracks? Did you go through the narrow road tunnel on Springfield Street under the tracks?

paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 07:32:21 AM »

I crossed it on the bike trail bridge.
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 07:35:09 AM »

and also I went under a RR overpass on Springfield.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 10:36:55 AM »

My suggestion is to avoid walking on Springfield Street under the railroad overpass. The road is narrow, on curve and there is no pedestrian lane. Vehicles move fast through it. You could easily be struck by a vehicle. It probably was not bad yesterday as it was a holiday. But on a normal business day Springfield street can be quite busy.

paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 11:59:22 AM »

well, I didn't have much choice really. And yes there was very little traffic that day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: