Trail Talk
August 22, 2014, 09:35:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trail Promotion Committee  (Read 6402 times)
Buckeye
Administrator
Circuit Hiker

Hike the Buckeye Trail!

« on: June 13, 2011, 10:44:14 AM »

I have recently agreed to step up as chair for the Trail Promotion committee, which involves every aspect that would promote the trail (newsletter, website, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Trail Talk), hiking/backpacking events, etc.) and would like to solicit a few volunteers who are BTA members in good standing and who have a passion for getting ideas together and then seeing those ideas come to life.

We need to think of ways to get the word about the Buckeye Trail to the masses as well as increasing membership in the BTA by holding events, having cool items for folks to buy, etc. 

Email me (socialmedia@buckeyetrail.org) if you might be interested.  You do NOT have to be a member of staff or the board to participate.

Meetings will be help via conference call on a monthly or as needed basis.  You also should have timely communication turnaround via email.

Thanks!
Buckeye

Board of Trustees member, Organizer of the Miami Rivers Chapter
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:44:40 AM »

Per my email please count me in as a member of the Trail Promotion Committee. I would like to help.

The Buckeye Trail needs more backpackers! If we can keep the Buckeye Trail maintained and open and get more backpackers on it I think a lot of the current issues can be solved. For example ...

More Hikers = More members for the BTA.
More Hikers = More donations.
More Hikers = More folks to help maintain the trail.
More Hikers = More defined footpath in remote areas of the BT.
More Hikers = More campsites will be found / developed.

I suggest running an advertisement in the Appalachian Trail Journeys magazine which is sent out quarterly to ATC members. The ad would read "You have hiked the A.T. now come hike the B.T.".

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Buckeye
Administrator
Circuit Hiker

Hike the Buckeye Trail!

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »

Love it, Cap'n, you and I are on the same page.  I am a firm believer in getting more hiker friendly events sponsored by the BTA and using parts of the BT on those hikes to "show off" the trail.  The more folks that come out means the more folks that the join the BTA, then more folks volunteer to lead events, work on the trail, and take on other roles.  It's all about getting hikers on the trails (of course the trails have to be in good shape, which is why I spent five hours working on trails Sunday with some of my hiking group friends getting it ready for the Fort Ancient area hike on the 25th, and seeing what work to be done before the SpringFest next April).

Buckeye

Board of Trustees member, Organizer of the Miami Rivers Chapter
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:12:38 PM »

I was tracking along until I got to the "members in good standing" limitation.  Grin
Guess I'll work on special projects in the background.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »

Hey Darryl, I have a couple of ideas that you may or may not want to consider for your endeavors. #1. You could get together some photos of some of the scenic or historic sites along the BT and compile a calendar to sell. (this is a very common fund raising practice, so not really my idea) #2. You could organize some volunteers to be out on the busy bike path sections of the BT to set up little lemonade stand type sites to sell bottled water to thirsty bikers/hikers, although, I am not 100% sure about the legality aspects of that. Like I said, just a couple ideas to kick around.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:41:34 PM »

I have sometimes thought that actively and continually promoting the Buckeye Trail might be a good idea.  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:31:01 PM by BTA Geek » Logged
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 04:40:57 PM »

Poppie always hands out the brochures along the way when we are hiking.  Even stopping and talking to the folks in the small towns as we go.

Anyone ever contact Backpacker magazine?   They may be interested in the Captain's adventures.

We got attention in some local newspapers in order to boost knowledge of the trail to locals.  Some folks do not realize that there is a trail passing in front of their houses.

The Columbus Dispatch folks were going to come out with us but have not done so yet.  It's read in a wide region of Ohio.

Circuit Hike Completed.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 09:47:45 PM »

That's true, Pioneer, I lived around here for quite a while before I knew of the BT. You guys could try putting some brochures in the motel lobbies in high tourism areas like this one (Kings Island)...as well as putting some in the canoe liveries and the zip line depot. Also, the Visitors Bureaus of the counties and towns, if they have them. Most of these places around here like Morrow, Loveland, etc; would love a few more tourists coming to their areas Smiley
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 03:03:27 PM »

Maybe this will inspire some ideas.

"Ford Embraces 'Social Media Geeks'
- Automaker courts mommy bloggers, eco-friendly dads at its first-ever 'Forward With Ford' conference.
http://industryweek.com/articles/ford_embraces_social_media_geeks_24943.aspx

Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »

I know the Geocaching and letter boxing community is aware of the BT.  I walked on quite a bit of the BT looking up letterboxes a few years before I decided to hike the entire trail.   I always wondered what was over the next hill.

Look me up on AtlasQuest.com under my trail name.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 08:54:49 PM »

The Buckeye Trail did not make this list. Is this good or bad?

Best Through-Hikes You've Never Heard Of

http://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/north-america/united-states/utah/Best-Through-Hikes-Youve-Never-Heard-Of.html

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »

The Ouachita Trail has a monthly "where  in the blue blazes" photo contest.
http://www.friendsot.org/blue_blazes
~
We could form a group called "Bears" and chase people along the trail .. might make national news if they don't dig too deep. BEARS chase family having a picnic on the Buckeye Trail!!!

BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 09:58:10 PM »

CB: Perhaps the BT didn't make the list because they believe it is not thru-hikable.  Kind of like the AT circa 1948.  We need to make sure SpringFest 2012 dispels that idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: