Trail Talk
July 30, 2014, 03:01:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skilled carpenter volunteer needed  (Read 3091 times)
melloman
Day Hiker

« on: March 30, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »

Greetings to all,my name is Matthew Funk and i am the Mogadore section supervisor with the buckeye trail.I have come across a bunch of free telephone poles and want to build a adirondack lean-to shelter for the new buckeye trail were building around the lake at West branch state park.I'm not very good at carpentry and i'm looking for a bta member or non member who would like to donate some time and there skill to build it.All materials will be provided and brought to your site.I would like to find someone in the northeastern part of the state if possible so i don't have to haul the materials clear across the state.If this sounds like something you'd be interested in please let me know.It's possible to get up to 150 poles and i would like to eventually turn them all into shelters to use where ever we can put them in the state.
Matthew Funk
Mogadore section supervisor
buckeye trail association   
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:53:23 AM »

Matthew,
I would start by contacting Jim Runk (State Trail Coordinator).  If he can't help you directly, I suspect he can get you some names of people that can.  I know he has been involved in building a few shelters on other areas of the trail.

If you need his contact information, just PM me.
Andrew
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:45:17 PM »

Hello Matthew,
Heard similar news from State Trail Coordinator, Rick Adamson, what are the odds there are too bunches of telephone poles in NE Ohio? Assuming they are the same sounds like it is taken care of. Are the poles treated? I'd like look into that, because you may not want to build shelters to sleep in out of poles treated with creosote, or arsenic, or the newer stuff.  I don't know exactly what I am talking about, but I do know that none of those things are good for you, smell may be an issue for a backpacker looking for the fresh air of the trail as well.  This doesn't mean it's not a great resource though, treated poles are perfect to use in wet environments for the sill logs of boardwalks, etc.
Let me know, Andrew Bashaw
melloman
Day Hiker

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »

Andrew,
Yes, i'm the one who located these poles.Were building new trail at West branch state park and i was trying to figure out a way to get lumber cheap or free to build some backpacking shelters when i thought about used telephone poles.i called around to different electric company's and low and behold i found a gold mine right in my own home town.Rick agreed to store them at his house because i have no space at mine.The park manager at the park is all for building these shelters but i just found out that to get the state to approve them i have to get real blue prints drawn up and have them built accordingly.A real pain for a backpack shelter but i'm going to see what i can do.Their will be alot of poles and we can use the rest wherever their needed.The city of Newton falls will be donating the poles for are cause(normally they charge for them)and i think they should get some kind of thanks from the bta officially.
Matt
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:36:46 PM »

.. i just found out that to get the state to approve them i have to get real blue prints drawn up and have them built accordingly.A real pain for a backpack shelter but i'm going to see what i can do.

It wouldn't surprise me if the state also asks about building, electrical and plumbing inspections.  Roll Eyes
This link might be useful http://www.tomstrong.org/bsa/adk.html

Backpacking light, feels so right.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »

Does Russ Johnson know about your gold mine?  Recently, he was looking for a few poles to use at the Barn for some bat boxes.  If you have some spare, and he hasn't found another source, he may want to know.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 11:56:15 AM »

All sorts of uses for poles.  Stiles, sign posts, fence posts, bridges, benches, shelter bases, steps up hills etc.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »

If you were at the barn.  you need to thank Russ and Mary for all their work.  Did you see the bunks that Russ has made?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:47:39 PM by Poppie » Logged

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: