Trail Talk
June 23, 2017, 11:22:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blaze Template?  (Read 5230 times)
Buckeye
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »

I have a very small portion of trails that are side trails to the BT in the Fort Ancient area.  I blazed the trees a couple of years ago freehand, and the blazes look pretty darn good, but I was thinking about freshening up the blazes and wanted to hear about recommendations on creating a template so that my blazes are perfect 2" by 6" rectangles.  Any ideas of what material I could use to create one?  The template would have to be a bit flexible to mold to the various sizes of trees, yet firm enough to hold the form to paint those perfect rectangles with.

Thanks!
Buckeye
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:24:16 PM »

I have access to a some scrap 'Dairy board', it is used inside of certain semi-trailers but is used here to cover the 100 year old walls to make them sanitary.  Not as flexible as the material below.

A good material would be sheet brass.  It is used to make stencils for numbers and letters and is very flexible.

Or aluminum flashing.  Easy to cut but can be brittle if bent too sharply.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Buckeye
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »

Hmmm, sheet brass might be the ticket.  Have to look about and see if I can find some and make a few templates (or actually have them cut for me...living in a condo means little to no room for tools!).

Thanks!
Buckeye
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:33:24 PM »

I've used a piece of cardboard with a 2"x6" rectangle cut out of it for the past 10? years.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »

Card board was always my choice for making stencils.  I used letters from word enlarged using a stencil font and made some "Pedestrian only" lanes on the floors here at the plant.

I take it that you want 2 X 6 in size?    I saw where folks scraped a little rough bark down a bit before painting.   One person actually used something to flatten the spot on electric poles a bit.

Sheet brass can be scored with a utility knife and puched out.   Same with aluminum flashing, all could fit in those paint boxes someone makes.   Do they make blue blaze paint in spray cans?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:57:09 PM by Pioneer Spirit » Logged

Circuit Hike Completed.
Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:05:56 PM »

Not sure if they make the approved color in spray or not.  As a matter of fact I was looking for the correct colors on the BTA website today, but do not see that info anywhere.  I know it's in the newsletter, so I will look for that tonight.

I take a scraper to smooth out the bark a bit, but not too deep as to damage the tree.  Having a template will allow me to have a much cleaner look to my trails and make it easier to get paint into cracks within going beyond my nice rectangle.

Thanks for the info...a thick cardboard might work as well (like artist board perhaps).  I just want something that will last!

And I have one of those boxes, quite handy!

Buckeye
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 06:08:44 PM »

Try plastic from a large bleach bottle, cut off the top and bottom and you will have a nice big ring that can be split and it will flatten nicely.  Better plastic than soda or water jugs.

Circuit Hike Completed.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »

The official 'blue' is Sherwin Williams "Sweeping Blue", number 2408.  You should be able to get it at a discount and without paying sales tax, but a lot of the stores need to be told (insistently).

Also of great use is Sherwin Williams "Yuma Green", number 2090.  This is a seemingly magic color which, when applied 'sloppily' over an existing blaze on practically any tree will render the blaze invisible (and blend in to the natural tree color).  I doubted one dark green paint would really blend in with every different color tree, but used it to cover blazes in a decommissioned section of East Fork State Park.  When I turned around to hike back to my start, it really did work - I had a hard time telling where I had covered blazes!  Credit to Jim Sprague for recommending this color.
Landeck lad
Overnighter

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 05:40:06 PM »

I picked up my first can of Sweeping Blue and Yuma Green paint today.
the clerk stated they did not have the Buckeye Trail Association tax ID in their system and until getting that number they still would have to put tax on the items. He explained that the State changed some tax rules in the last year and that they could no longer remove tax from an item without a 4 page document filled out.
I asked if he could check other stores which might have that information.
1st store checked, no mention of BTA
2nd store, no mention of BTA
3rd store, had BTA, but noted that "tax must be applied until tax ID given".
4th store, no mention of BTA.
5th store, finally had BTA and the tax ID necessary, so i was able to pay and leave the store with the paint.

so, QUESTION? could it be possible to inform our members which Sherwin Williams store(s) would have the necessary information needed?
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »

This is something I think should be in the system for all Sherwin Williams' stores.  How many stores are we talking to track down the ones that can offer the discounts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: