Trail Talk
June 28, 2017, 11:44:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TRAIL TALK, the Buckeye Trail Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 6868 times)
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« on: June 06, 2011, 10:53:25 PM »

At what point do we use counter offensive defence with dogs.  I was hiking in the Stockport Section when a Rot came out to defend his homestead.  I did not have my spray with me so I held up my hiking sticks in front of me.  I have been since told that this was the wrong move. Any advice?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:57:52 PM by Poppie » Logged

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 04:14:26 PM »

I was nipped on the heel by a little dog in Deersville but all it got was a mouth full of shoe so no blood was drawn.  Had the owner not been on the porch I would have smacked it with my stick.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:15:26 PM by Pioneer Spirit » Logged

Circuit Hike Completed.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:05:48 PM »

Someone asked about fear on the trail.  I came close to this point last week.  Near Ottoville, two Dobermans were behind an invisible fence with a little "yapper".  When we approached, one of the Dobermans walked through the fence with his collar, jerking as he went through.  He walked straight up to me without any emotion.  Not sure what he had in mind but I think I was afraid at that point.  He walked with us a short distance and returned to his yard through the invisible fence.  Someone needs to turn his voltage up on the collar. Shocked

rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:49:02 PM »

I wasn't necessarily asking about fear, per se...I just wanted to know what anyone's plan of action is if they ever find themselves face to face with a wild animal such as a bear or wolf or something of that nature. A dog is actually a pretty good example though. I carry a good, sturdy stick. I wouldn't hesitate to swing it at a dog if I had to.

But I was really wanting to hear if anyone had taken any precautions in case of a run in with a wild animal. I mean, do they make "bear spray"...do ya'll carry a small firearm...or would you just try to fight it out like Davey Crockett?  "He killed him a bear when he was three..." Wink
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 03:17:56 AM »

http://www.udap.com/
https://ahimsadogtraining.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=MCH-0020

The top link is for bear repelant that I have seen utility workers carry.

The bottom is for dog spray that I have used.  When I had pepper spray it only slowed the dog down, the halt spry stopped the dog and he went home.

WE are not on the food chain, only what we carry.  Keep your food stored at night in a bear bag.  I found that mice love toothpaste, I make sure it goes somewhere other than my tent or backpack.  I have a scrunch bag on my tent that I use for the bear bag at night.  Tent goes up and bag goes higher.

On backpacking treks, I vacuum seal all of my food and gear.

stever
Day Hiker

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:48:09 AM »

At what point do we use counter offensive defence with dogs.  I was hiking in the Stockport Section when a Rot came out to defend his homestead.  I did not have my spray with me so I held up my hiking sticks in front of me.  I have been since told that this was the wrong move. Any advice?

If you did not get bitten...then your method and style worked for you in that encounter with the Rot. Kudos !!  Each dog~canine encounter is going to be different. Study the recomendations and adapt to your own scenario. Personally,I use a 10% OC Spray with 2 million Scoville Heat Units. Have used it once, also on a Rot, while out on a bicycle ride in a semi-rural area. The spray did a great job ! He turned as if he was hit by a swarm of bald faced hornets and went back to his owners property. When the Rot came out onto the public roadway and attacked he was subject to any method that I desired to use. I actually used my bicycle to act as a barrier.(He had a full running start and I could not out run him) When I started to walk from his "domain" and he still would not back off...the OC spray did its job ! I doubt if he will ever attack another cyclist since his experience was not very pleasant. Be aware of "blow back" onto yourself or other innocent folks nearby. In my case,it worked perfectly.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 09:16:30 AM »

Personally,I use a 10% OC Spray with 2 million Scoville Heat Units.

Probably also works to spice up bland meals.  Grin
http://www.mydefensesuperstore.com/storecategory120.aspx

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »

the blow back of the Halt Spry was actually quite pleasant, kind of a sweet taste on my lips the rest of the day.  On the other hand, when I got hit with blow back from pepper spray several years ago, I could not fuction for several minutes, eyes and nose both watering.

stever
Day Hiker

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 07:48:31 PM »

Personally,I use a 10% OC Spray with 2 million Scoville Heat Units.

Probably also works to spice up bland meals.  Grin
http://www.mydefensesuperstore.com/storecategory120.aspx

No doubt about that...it would add some real HOT chili spice !!   We fondly call it " karate in a can "   Grin
kathyonbt
Section Hiker

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »

I have used many methods over the years with respect to dogs - oftentimes my response is situational - number of dogs, area of hike, presence of owner.  Being primarily a solo hiker, I think I'm more likely to 'attract' dogs than a bunch of hikers together.

I have done anything from yelling at the dogs to talking quietly to waving my hiking stick at them to crossing the street and waiting until they calmed down.  I always watch without staring, backing away down the road if need be.  I never, of course, run.
Have had to use the pepper spray on a bitch who came after me one time.
My favorite new toy for dogs is called a Dazzer - ultrasonic.  It has shut several dogs up and stopped more than one in mid-charge.

At this point, I walk with my stick, carry pepper spray, and the dazzer.
So far, it's worked for me.

Kathy On BT 
"Not all who wander are lost."
Finished 8/30/2013 and going around again
MacCherokee
Day Hiker

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 09:15:57 AM »

[/quote]
No doubt about that...it would add some real HOT chili spice !!   We fondly call it " karate in a can "   Grin
[/quote]

lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: