Trail Talk
October 17, 2017, 09:40:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim Sprague Trail  (Read 1952 times)
kathyonbt
Section Hiker

« on: May 28, 2011, 09:07:26 PM »

Hello,
  Today I hiked from Pine Lake Dam through the Jim Sprague Trail.  Since I was hiking CW I figured it would be easier to follow than my usual CCW trekking.  The trail in this section is pretty easily followed with a lot of blazes throughout.

For anyone hiking, the two turns off the Bridle trail on the Jim Sprague (white blazes) are difficult to see and, in this case, would be easier in the CCW direction.
  In the first case (again, CW or east to west), after the first open area, look to the right for the blue blazes.  I didn't catch a turn blaze but the doubled white and blue blazes suddenly turned to all white.  I caught the blue off to the right and headed off that way.
  The second turn off happens coming down off the ridge to Auerbach road and I missed it.  Backtracked once I caught the BT lower down and found where I'd lost it.  Coming down the Bridle trail on a switchback the BT goes off to the left, but the turn blaze is obscured by a huge growth of rosa.  You have to look very carefully.  If you're coming down the hill and get into a wet grassy area, you've gone too far.  There's an old log partway in the trail on the right side.  The turnoff is back uphill about 10 feet.  Hope that helps somebody.

On the last switchback before Auerbach, however, I came across a few downed trees about 1/4 mile in.  It's quite a mess and I was able to get around.  While I was sitting under a tree at the Auerbach/Green Ridge intersection I heard something else come down (not sure where, of course, but it sounded close).

Happy hiking.

Kathy On BT 
"Not all who wander are lost."
Finished 8/30/2013 and going around again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: