Trail Talk
May 26, 2017, 01:27:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TRAIL TALK, the Buckeye Trail Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caesar Creek  (Read 9150 times)
paveltul
Overnighter

« on: May 17, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »

Following the call to be more active on the forum, I will post some problems for the Caesar Creek section between points 7 and 14.
1) currently significant portions of the above segment are flooded. I mean FLOODED. Better have you scuba gear ready if you are planning to hike this section for the next few weeks. Most of it I was able to walk around on the park access roads. However there was one segment towards the end where I had to walk about a 150 yards through the water waist deep.
2) Bridal trails. They suck! I believe that at this particular instance man and beast don't go along so well. I know that's a big project, but has anyone considered relocating the trail higher up from the lake and away from bridal trails?
3) This one is more of a minor nuisance, but worthy of mentioning. The trail could have been better marked. I did end up taking a couple of wrong turns because of it. Also, sometimes when the trail changes direction, it may be a while before you see a blue blaze to confirm new direction.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »

Build a trail and they will come...especially the horses.  Unless a trail is built so horses can't navigate through such as leaving low hanging limbs or cutting deadfall narrow so that only a person can walk through the gap.

Circuit Hike Completed.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »

Well damn!! Thanks for clarifying that for me. Now I am sure that I should avoid the portion of the trail north of the St Rt 73 Bridge. I hate horses!!..Well, not really but, I hate hiking on their trails and in their poo! I always wondered about that part of Caesar Creek and the bridle trail. Thanks again for the info. Is it really that flooded? I was there, well, up by the Visitor Center last week, and they were letting water out of the dam. I ain't sure where points 7 to 14 are, so please give me some landmarks if you can, thanks!!
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:04:14 AM »

Backpacking light, feels so right.
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »

Thanks again for the info. Is it really that flooded? I was there, well, up by the Visitor Center last week, and they were letting water out of the dam. I ain't sure where points 7 to 14 are, so please give me some landmarks if you can, thanks!!
[/quote]

It really was that flooded when I was there. The entire section between the beach and the boat ramp is totally under water, so you would be better off just driving to the boat ramp and parking there. Next, when you get to the second dam, BT follows bridle trail down, next to the lake, but don't bother. Just walk across on the dam. It will save you about a mile of walking on the bridle trail and you would have to walk around flooded area on the base of the dam anyway. When you get to the end of the dam, there will be a field on your right. Cross it diagonally and the trail should be only few feet from there. It is pretty identifiable since it is a paved path. Next, about a 1,5 miles before BT joins the spring valley paintsville road there will be a flooded area about 150-200 yards long and I could not find a way around it. the only way forward is through the water... Good Luck!
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »

Ok..thanks for showing the map couscous...Points 7 to 14 are in the exact area that I havent ever hiked because of it being on the bridal trail....Paveltul, I have never even been to the "2nd dam"...been as far as the boat ramp though. I am still wanting to hike to Yellow Springs from South Lebanon on the BT, but I am not too fond of horse crap or floods Embarrassed...
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »

Apparently, according to the info I have, I could, theoretically just take the Little Miami Trail all the way to Yellow Springs. The BT follows the LM trail but leaves it to pass thru Caesar creek and the joins it again...I really didnt want to do it that way because I was wanting to see the BT, but from what I have been reading here, the BT is near impassable from SR 73 to Spring Valley.

It's either that or procure me a horse!! Roll Eyes
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »

I finished that section almost  a year ago and I must say it was probably the worst short section I encountered until recently.  Overgrown, muddy and not marked were my complaints that day according to my trail log.  My photos are not available at this time.

I awoke to very wet conditions on the trail, something that makes a long hike even worse.  I packed up and took off at a fast pace eager to get through this rough section as soon as possible.
I hurried along and came upon several converging trails that were not marked but have been used by horses.  I found a blue blaze leading up a hill on around past an abandoned truck sitting among the trees.
The trail blazing disappeared and I soon discovered that after passing some of the land marks twice that I was lost in a confusion of converging and diverging trails.

In spite of all my efforts to find my way along the correct trail, I soon burnt off the early morning energy boost and my feet were beginning to get wet inside of my ‘waterproof’ boots.  I finally gave up and headed back to the main road where I opted for a longer but more direct road walk to the next BT crossing.
I would walk another couple of miles but at least I was out of the horse print mud of the trail.  I took route 380 south at the junction and walked along the berm until I was able to make a final turn onto another road where the BT crossed at a parking lot along the creek.
I decided that I would finish the short bypassed section later.

Even though this section was as muddy as the last, it provided a better blazed and straighter march forward.
I was really irritated after walking so many miles only to end up nowhere.  This was probably the worst marked trail section so far.
I burnt off a lot of energy going around in circles and wet feet make things worse.
I still don’t understand how manufacturers can claim ‘waterproof’ on boots that won’t withstand walking through wet grass like that pictured below.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »

I went back about a month later in July and hiked that short stretch from the south to north to the point where I first got lost and then walked back out again:

My previous attempt to navigate south from point 13 to 12 ended in disaster when I managed to get lost in a section that contained a combination of overgrown markings and a crisscrossing of horse trails.
This segment is specified as a horse trail by the park and is heavily used by horsemen, I passed a pair of riders as I was entering the segment from the parking lot.

After a couple miles, I reached a familiar section of the trail where I had hiked through before.  I hiked down the side of a narrow low spot and crossed a small stream and met up with a ‘T’ intersection on the other side.
This was the point where I made some wrong turns on my previous hike.  I had walked in on a horse trail and saw a blue blaze at the intersection and ended up following the BT back the way I came.  While I’ve completed this segment, I still haven’t pinpointed the exact trail errors.
I turned around at the junction and headed back to the truck happy to have completed the entire Caesar creek section map by finishing the Springfield and Caesar creek park trail gaps.

Circuit Hike Completed.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 09:24:19 PM »

Thanks for the story Pioneer....it has reinforced my long held idea that horse trails are...well HORSESHIT!! Cheesy
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »

well, apparently, the lake is full of e coli, so stay out of it!! I ain't sure a bout the river though...
 Roll Eyes
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »

It has been my experience that the Canadian Geese spread the e coli in their poo... so once they are gone, the lake will be safe...just watch out for the "old THONG man"..!! LOL!
 Cheesy
paveltul
Overnighter

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 12:07:21 PM »

The freaking geese will never be gone. Cry They don't migrate anymore for some reason. I bet they are doing this just to annoy me Shocked
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »

We could solve a lot of hunger problems if we could convince people to eat them.
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zgoos.html

Backpacking light, feels so right.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 11:48:34 PM »

I'd eat 'em!!...a little general Tsao's sauce and they're good to go! Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: