Trail Talk
August 19, 2017, 08:58:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fastest Known Time for Thru-Hike?  (Read 6707 times)
WildBuckeye
Day Hiker

« on: May 16, 2011, 12:50:06 PM »

Does any know of a record time for a thru-hike? I am contemplating a thru-run in the next year or so.
Buckeye
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »

There have been very few folks to do a thru hike (good to have Captain Blue out there right now).  The English chap who wrote A Walk Around Ohio did it in 60 days, and I think the trail was 1300 miles at that time.  That is around 22 miles each day (he only took a couple of zero days), which is very respectable.  The Ansligers completed the circuit in ten weeks in 2003.

Buckeye
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »

With no official route, it may be pointless to try and set any records.
Examples:
Should a speed hike skip the Akron section, do it twice, or require a shuttle?
Should the Stockport section bypassed by the Road Fork & Whipple sections be skipped, done twice, or should the Road Fork and Whipple sections be skipped as Captain Blue has suggested?
Should all record attempts start with the Loveland section in Cincinnati - go clockwise - and finish with the Williamsburg section?
If not, should the Loveland section south of the Williamsport section be skipped, done twice, or require a shuttle?

We will run into the same questions trying to create a Wiki for the trail.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »

With no official route, it may be pointless to try and set any records.
Examples:
Should a speed hike skip the Akron section, do it twice, or require a shuttle?
Should the Stockport section bypassed by the Road Fork & Whipple sections be skipped, done twice, or should the Road Fork and Whipple sections be skipped as Captain Blue has suggested?
Should all record attempts start with the Loveland section in Cincinnati - go clockwise - and finish with the Williamsburg section?
If not, should the Loveland section south of the Williamsport section be skipped, done twice, or require a shuttle?

We will run into the same questions trying to create a Wiki for the trail.

I think a thru-hike (to address the last point) can start anywhere, whether it's to set a record or not.  I know the Ansligers did the Milford to Southern Terminus twice on their through hike.

A true thru-hike would probably be hike anywhere that is blazed, but it sounds like there are some areas that just are not worth it, and I certainly would not tell someone they are not a thru hiker for skipping such areas.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »

My idea of a thru hike would be from Eden Park in Cincinnati, either clock or counter clockwise, around the main circuit of the BT...no loops....
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »

Go for a Thru Run of the BT! A speed record could easily be set. My advice is to skip the Whipple Loop. You won't do any running in most of the off road sections there.

I would love to see a speed hike attempt of the BT. It is ripe for someone to set it.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 11:21:22 AM »

What's the point??? Hiking isn't a point to point race.  Stop and smell the roses and notice nature.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:02:45 AM by Charlie Redwood » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: