Trail Talk
October 22, 2014, 11:42:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ceasar Creek  (Read 5732 times)
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« on: May 09, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »

Smiley Anyone been there recently and describe what that part is like. I am wanting to hike that section since it is in my back yard. Well, the bike trail is. I was planning on doing south Lebanon to Yellow Springs.
Pedologist
Overnighter

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »

I hiked there in 2008, and it was all good.  I can recall getting lost for a while going "counter-clockwise" from the road at the Caesar Creek spillway to the stream below the dam.  It probably would have been easier to follow the trail from the other direction.

1,168 miles completed, including all sections in the main loop.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:45:33 PM »

Yeah, you probably should go the other way next time...I know that particular trail pretty well as one of Caesar Creeks short hikes...I just recently realized it was part of the BT. I was mainly wondering about the section from the Highway bridge over the lake (SR 73) to spring valley. According to the Park Map, that is a horse trail...so any info on the terrain or the amount of "horse shit" Wink would be helpful... Thank You. I have been doing short , practice hikes on the paved Little Miami Bike Path to condition myself for this journey.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:41:50 AM »

I am planning on setting out Thursday, May 26...from South Lebanon, up the Little Miami Scenic Trail to Yellow Springs and then taking the BT through Caesars Creek for the return..(Yellow Springs to South Lebanon) Lips sealed
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:44:20 AM »

I had great difficulty in the upper section between the two road, I gave up and walked down a parallel roadway to the next point on the map.   I went back a month later and finished it from the other direction.  Horse trails and absent/hidden blazes were one cause.

Circuit Hike Completed.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »

Your last post reminded me of a question I wanted to ask: Is it ok for hikers on the BT to bring a little can of spray paint to touch up on the blazes? It seems like in every section that I have read about, people are saying that there are too few blue balzes or they are covered by overgrowth. I know that the section of the BT from the Caesar Creek Visitor center to SR 73 is ok, but I have never been past that point. Thanks for the answers.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:50:01 PM »

The proper way to add/maintain blazes is to volunteer as a segment maintainer.
Each section has a Supervisor. For Caesar Creek the Supervisor is Dave Drumm.
http://www.buckeyetrail.org/closeup.html#caesarcreek
Most section supervisors are probably looking for eager volunteers.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 07:51:34 PM »

Let me add to couscous' comment.

Please do NOT blaze any of the trail without working through the section supervisor.  There are standards that need to be followed, including the specific color of the blue paint and the frequency of blazing.  True - they aren't always followed even by recognized adopters, but at least the supervisor knows who to work with to get it right next time.

Also, there are some areas of the trail where the BTA is not permitted to blaze, or limited only to a few spots (trailheads for example).  In the past, 'good Samaritans' have blazed in these areas, resulting in some phone calls, apologies and time spent 'unblazing'.

As couscous said, there are always openings for more adopters.  Anyone wanting to help can just e-mail volunteer@buckeyetrail.org and express their interest.
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 11:50:38 PM »

OK..I will leave the paint at home. I been walking the Loveland section in segments....getting ready for Caesars creek.
Buckeye
Administrator
Circuit Hiker

Hike the Buckeye Trail!

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »

Rasta - Have you made it to the southern terminus already?  I live on the BT about three miles from there, and would walk with you for a bit if you want some company.

Buckeye

Board of Trustees member, Organizer of the Miami Rivers Chapter
rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »

Where is that at? I don't have any of the "official" BT maps or anything yet. I have basically been just going on short hikes on the Little Miami bike trail. Covered Kings Mill to Oregonia thus far and am wanting to do a great part of the caesar creek section over memorial weekend.
NeXt SteP72
Day Hiker

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:52:58 PM »

Hey Fellow Hikers! I will be walking from Batavia to Milford in a couple of days and then from Grant Lake to East Fork. But in the near future I will be taking on the loveland section. I will be starting at Eden Park in the Queen City and I would like to find some Hikers interested in hiking this section as well.. Give me a shout!! Thanx NeXt SteP...
Buckeye
Administrator
Circuit Hiker

Hike the Buckeye Trail!

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »

Where is that at? I don't have any of the "official" BT maps or anything yet. I have basically been just going on short hikes on the Little Miami bike trail. Covered Kings Mill to Oregonia thus far and am wanting to do a great part of the caesar creek section over memorial weekend.

The Southern Terminus starts in Eden Park overlooking the Ohio River.  Runs through Hyde Park along Madison Road and Erie Avenue before getting to Mariemont.  Mostly walking along sidewalks for this portion.

Buckeye
Administrator
Circuit Hiker

Hike the Buckeye Trail!

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »

Hey Fellow Hikers! I will be walking from Batavia to Milford in a couple of days and then from Grant Lake to East Fork. But in the near future I will be taking on the loveland section. I will be starting at Eden Park in the Queen City and I would like to find some Hikers interested in hiking this section as well.. Give me a shout!! Thanx NeXt SteP...

I need to finish the Loveland section from the powder factory at King's Mills to the Caesar Creek section.  Barring getting together for that, I would be happy to walk along with folks on portions of Loveland I have already completed and/or be a stopping point for folks who need to get water or a potty break.

rastaredneck
Overnighter

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 08:12:36 PM »

Next step 72..Buckeye...the Loveland section, starting at the Powder factory actually, is my "home" section...I try do do at least 3-5 miles an evening, roaming from the Powder factory at Kings Mill to Caesar Creek ( I drive then park and walk some then back).

To be honest, I never really go down to the Cincinnati/Eden Park area...I just ain't too comfortable down there, no offense or anything. The city is cool to visit, but to walk completely through is a different story.
Batavia to Milford, via Cincinnati..hope you got your CCW license Wink..but seriously if either one of you, or anyone for that matter want to plan to meet up and do some of the Trail between Foster (on the Little Miami Bike Trail) to even Yellow Springs (I ain't too keen on Dayton either LOL!!), give me a shout! I know the area extremely since I am a local. Peace Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: