Trail Talk
June 25, 2017, 01:24:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Williamsburg  (Read 4718 times)
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« on: April 04, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »

Easily passible for the entire section.  Use caution through East Fork during wet seasons, certain stream crossings will be inpassible during periods of heavy rain.   Ususal horse damage on the trails making slippery walking after rains.   A few trees across the trail throughout the park and one foot bridge was washed out of place near the lake shore.  Bridge is resting across the bank from one of the shelter sites.  Nice camp shelters by the way.  Pit toilet, one large group shelter and two double occupancy full enclosed shelter (sans doors).

Round bottom road walking is dicey.  Lots of two way traffic consisting of large trucks and narrow berms make this long section nerve racking.

Nice walk through Batavia, lots of general services through the county seat.  Excellet services near end of map at trail junction in Milford.  Wilderness outfitter located a couple blocks off the trail.

Circuit Hike Completed.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »

Round Bottom Rd has to be one of the worst road walks on the trail.  It's certainly the worst I've experienced.  During my stint as Williamsburg Section Supervisor, I looked to several ways to move it, but could not get enough pieces to fall.  Cincinnati Nature Center has some really nice trails, but getting in and out was a problem (not withstanding the problem of getting their permission!)

Other alternatives out of Milford - US 50 and SR 28 are just as bad.  I'd love to see the parallel railroad tracks abandoned, but am not holding out hope for that.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »

Poppy pointed over to the 'future bike trail', the railroad tracks.   We survived the walk anyway.  I figured there was no other alternative.

I looked up the Clermont Sun tonight and found a like to the images taken by the reporter:  http://www.instantimagegallery.com/iig/a/785/228314?state:cat/Photo=BrO0ABXcgAAAAAgEAByRCb3JkZXIAEG9yaWdpbmFsQ2xpZW50SWRzcgARamF2YS5sYW5nLkludGVnZXIS4qCk94GHOAIAAUkABXZhbHVleHIAEGphdmEubGFuZy5OdW1iZXKGrJUdC5TgiwIAAHhwAAADEXcKAAAHcGhvdG9JZHNxAH4AAABi5qU%3D

I uploaded my first short video.  Bruce disapointed me by not falling in.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/59094065@N05/5590832470/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:00:03 PM by Pioneer Spirit » Logged

Circuit Hike Completed.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:29:41 PM »

It would have been a bit more exciting if someone had slipped a little.  Smiley

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »

OK next time I throw Spirit in.

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
carabinerguy
BTA Board
Day Hiker

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »

As  Williamsburg section supervisor I am harboring some hope that Clermont County's plan to acquire a contiguous stretch of land along the river will eventually allow us to get off Roundbottom road entirely.Lets hope.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »

Along the East Fork?  That would seem difficult and expensive for the county since all that land is in private hands and much of the land developed to within a short distance of the river.  I'd also be concerned about flooding - something that river does a lot of.  It would be nice to happen, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: